cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon Powershot SX40 HS night settings

feelin_dumb
Apprentice

Hi! i love my camera but am having trouble with evening and night photos. i take alot of sunset and full moon photos, but the color is not correct. i'm not sure how to go about getting correct, natural color. i don't want to 'play' too much with the settings on my own...i need help please!!

thanks!

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

cicopo
Elite

You may need to do a custom white balance in those situations. Early morning & late in the day the light is different colored thanks to it being filtered by more of the earth's atmosphere. Those times of day offer a golden tint.

"A skill is developed through constant practice with a passion to improve, not bought."

View solution in original post

John_
Authority

Sunsets and sunrises are relatively easy to photograph because the exposure is not as critical as it is with some other scenes. If you underexpose the scene slightly, the colors will simply be a bit richer and darker. Slight overexposure will make the same scene slightly lighter.

The colors in the sky are often richest in the half hour before the sun rises and the half hour after it sets. It pays to be patient as you watch the sky change during these periods. For one thing, the sun itself is below the horizon and not in the image so exposure problems are greatly reduced. Also if there are clouds in the sky at those times they are more reflective of colors.

Also consider using a remote shutter switch and tripod since low light requires longer exposures, such as the moon or night scenes..Longer exposures should allow you to capture much more the exisitng colors.

There is an excellent book with CD, that I bought even though I have the SX50, which was written specifically for the SX40.

That's where I get a lot of my tips. Its called A Short Course on Powershot SX40HS Photography written by Dennis P. Curtin. It's very informative and is 161 pages long.

And of course you'll get great information here too.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

cicopo
Elite

You may need to do a custom white balance in those situations. Early morning & late in the day the light is different colored thanks to it being filtered by more of the earth's atmosphere. Those times of day offer a golden tint.

"A skill is developed through constant practice with a passion to improve, not bought."

thanks so much! does the ISO speed also make a difference? we have a pink moon coming up this month and i want to make sure i have the right settings..i would really hate to miss the correct color again.

John_
Authority

Sunsets and sunrises are relatively easy to photograph because the exposure is not as critical as it is with some other scenes. If you underexpose the scene slightly, the colors will simply be a bit richer and darker. Slight overexposure will make the same scene slightly lighter.

The colors in the sky are often richest in the half hour before the sun rises and the half hour after it sets. It pays to be patient as you watch the sky change during these periods. For one thing, the sun itself is below the horizon and not in the image so exposure problems are greatly reduced. Also if there are clouds in the sky at those times they are more reflective of colors.

Also consider using a remote shutter switch and tripod since low light requires longer exposures, such as the moon or night scenes..Longer exposures should allow you to capture much more the exisitng colors.

There is an excellent book with CD, that I bought even though I have the SX50, which was written specifically for the SX40.

That's where I get a lot of my tips. Its called A Short Course on Powershot SX40HS Photography written by Dennis P. Curtin. It's very informative and is 161 pages long.

And of course you'll get great information here too.

I have some moon pictures here in my album and besides changing the focus braket postion the camera, SX50, did the rest.

Tripod and remote shutter switch used.

thanks so much John..i'm hoping i can see a big difference with what i've learned today

your very welcome !!
Announcements