cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon Powershot SX40 HS Screen and Viewfinder are black

Windtochter
Apprentice

Hi,

I bought my camera three years ago and took probably 50K pictures WITH IT. I had no problem with it but today when I turned the camera on and the screen didn't work. I pushed DISP button several times but nothing happened. The viefinder is black, too. However, the camera still takes pictures; flash is working, too.

Is it any way to fix the problem or I simply have to toss it?

Thank you in advance

3 REPLIES 3

John_
Authority

When you say it still takes pictures you can veiw them or it just seems like it is? 

You cant see the menus on the LCD either?

Off the top of my head I'd say try taking out the battery then holld the power on button for at least 30 seconds then replace the battery and try it?

I'd say your shutter might be stuck but then you should still be able to see the LCD, menus etc.

To save time to wait on your reply and something else you can try if the shutter is stuck you can try setting up a long exposure of 15 seconds then at about 7 seconds of the exposure open the battery abruptly ending the shot. Close the battery door and try again

John,

thank you for your response. I tried to recharge the battery etc. Camera is still working as I said. I cannot see any menu etc so I take pictures blind. I took a few pics and couple of videos blind but they were OK when I uploaded pictures to my computer. I mean they were just fine but not perfect because I could not see what I was filming.

It is really weird.

Well if you asked Canon to fix it they would probably send you a refurbished one...they are or were selling refurbished SX50HS's for $139 which is a really good deal. I bought one for my kid and it looks new

Announcements