cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon Powershot S5IS pics overexposed - error

Hollay
Apprentice

Hello,

hope topic was not discussed before - at least I didn't find it. If yes, sorry to all of you.

My S5IS suddenly started to take overexposed photos (totally white) outside (regardless of the settings, modes). Inside is still overexposed with horizontal lines. Videos are still fine, phenomenon is only in photo mode.

What I tried already: reset to fact. settings, take out battery while long exposure to repaire if shutter stuck - nothing helped so far. Shutter is working (moving).

Can it be repaired? I'm ready to take it apart if any solution there. Warranty is of course over.

Any idea?

Thanks a lot in advance!

Best regards: F. Hollay

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

John_
Authority

I have a working S5IS as well as the complete repair manual.

You can get a good S5IS in working condition on auction sites for far far less than the cost of a repair. Perhaps in the $50 range. The most likely causes of your problem as listed in the manual is either the Main PCB CM1-4115-000 or the Optical Unit CM1-4222-000 maybe also called the Lens Assembly.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

smack53
Mentor

This sounds like it could be a metering issue with the camera. Could be the processor is not functioning properly with the input from the metering. The fact that it's only happening with stills is odd though. Try changing the metering to something other than the evaluative mode, either center weighted or spot. This is accessed through the function button. If there's no change, then I'm not sure what else can be done since you already did all the other resets.

Steve M.

Thanks Steve for reply. Changed metering - still the same overexposed pictures.

John_
Authority

I have a working S5IS as well as the complete repair manual.

You can get a good S5IS in working condition on auction sites for far far less than the cost of a repair. Perhaps in the $50 range. The most likely causes of your problem as listed in the manual is either the Main PCB CM1-4115-000 or the Optical Unit CM1-4222-000 maybe also called the Lens Assembly.

Thanks for reply. As nothing heped I have to agree with you, it is a serious malfunction in one of the electronic components.

I really loved this cam for its close macros. Now will have its second life as video camera as this is still working properly.

Announcements