cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon PowerShot SX280 HS WiFi issues.

rjh
Apprentice

Own a Canon PowerShot SX280 HS. The WiFi has been working fine to the iPad until to-day. Have re-set the camera and re-installed the software on the iPad but the results are the same. The camera communicates to the network, finds the ipad and then says 'Communication Failed'. Have run out of ideas.

Tks. 

4 REPLIES 4

Tim
Authority
Hello rjh,

If your device does not support WPS or if the access point is not detected automatically, please follow the steps below to set up your access point manually.
This section explains the steps involved in connecting to a computer in infrastructure mode.
The steps are the same when connecting to a smartphone using infrastructure mode.
IMPORTANT
  • Connecting a camera to a computer with Wi-Fi requires Windows 8, Windows 7 SP1, Mac OS X v10.6.8, Mac OS X v10.7, Mac OS X v10.8.2 or later.

1. Press the <Playback> () button to turn the camera on.

2. Press the <Wi-Fi> () button.

NOTE
When making the settings for a wireless LAN for the first time, a screen will appear for you to register a nickname for the camera.

Press the <FUNC./SET> () button to access the keyboard, and then enter a nickname. This nickname will appear on other devices on the wireless LAN when connecting from them.

3. Press the <><><><> buttons to choose (), and then press the <FUNC./SET> () button.

4.Press the <><> buttons to choose [Add a Device], and then press the <FUNC./SET> () button.

5. Press the <><> buttons to choose [Manual Settings], and then press the <FUNC./SET> () button.

6. Press the <FUNC./SET> () button to access the keyboard, and then enter the SSID. Press the <><> buttons to choose [Next], and then press the <FUNC./SET> () button.

7. Press the <><> to choose the encryption method, and then press the <FUNC./SET> () button.

8. Press the <FUNC./SET> (button to access the keyboard, and then enter the encryption key. Choose [Next], and then press the <FUNC./SET> () button.

NOTE

9. Choose [Auto], and then press the <FUNC./SET> () button.

10. The following screen appears.

11. If the device you want to connect to is found, a screen like the one below will appear.

Choose the device you want to connect to, and then press the <FUNC./SET> () button.
NOTE
If a screen like the one below appears, check the settings on the device you want to connect to.
After checking the settings, choose [Search Again] to retry the connection.

12. The following screen appears.

IMPORTANT
  • When connecting the camera to a computer for the first time, it is necessary to follow the steps below to install a driver on the computer (Windows only).
Click [Control Panel] > [Network and Internet] > [View network computers and devices], and then double-click the connected model on the [Other Devices] screen to start the installation of the driver.

13. After the camera and computer connection has been completed, the [AutoPlay] screen will appear on the computer.

When this happens, nothing will appear on the camera's LCD screen. The connection is complete at this point.
Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

rjh
Apprentice

Thank you for your repy but don't think that is the solution. Just to reiterate:

- can connect to the wifi

- the camera finds the target device (in this case the ipad). Even changed the name of the device and it finds it O.K.

- it asks whether you want the target device to access the photos

- answer 'yes' and the 'communication failed' message appears

Bearing in mind this was all working fine a couple of days ago.

Funny thing, it works now, without going through those steps.  Maybe the settings were set properly first, which was a couple of weeks ago, and all I had to do now was turn everything off, and turn it back on, skipping the part about the settings.

I have the iphone's hotspot on first  (but not bluetooth). Then the camera, and hit wifi. It asks to turn on Bluetooth, but I didn't do that.

The screen shows "start dedicaed app on target device" (which is Camera Connect). Then it asks to start bluetooth, which I didn't bother to do.

And it connected, just fine, and I sent a couple of pictures to the phone. 

I did this a few times to make sure it would repeat; one time, the screen asking for the WPS and so on came up, but I started over again, and it just worked as described before.  So there is a random element here, which may just be something I did differently.

1Dave
Apprentice

Me as well

Announcements