cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon PowerShot Elph 300 HS displays communication error when connected to computer via USB

gallium31
Contributor

Cannot download pictures from my Canon PowerShot Elph 300 HS camera.  Get "communication error" message on camera screen when connected via USB to computer.  This has not happened in the past. Is there a fix? I have Windows 7 Home Premium installed on my computer.  The ZoomBrowser will no longer open.  I went to the Canon site and downloaded the ZoomBrowser update .  Still no luck.

15 REPLIES 15

Mykolas
Authority

Hi gallium32!

We appreciate the post!

I would like to see how your camera is being seen in the device manager of your computer.  This will tell me if it is being seen at all or if it is just not being recognized properly.  Please follow these steps:

1. Connect the camera and power it on in the playback mode.
  2. Click on the Start button.
  3. Click on Computer.
  4. Click on System Properties.
  5. Click on Device Manager.

Do you see anything listed under Portable Devices or Imaging Devices?
If so, what is listed there?
Do you see any "!" or "?" anywhere in the device manager?
If so, where are they and what is listed next to them?

If this is a time sensitive-matter, additional support options are available at Contact Us.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

My cannon  MG22oo series printer is listed under imaging devices along with an integrated webcam... that is all.There is no "!" or "?" anywhere in the device manager.

gallium31,

Sometimes other imaging devices can interfere with communication.  As a test, try disconnecting your printer and webcam, then restart your computer.  When your computer is restarted, try connecting the camera again to see if it is recognized.

If this is a time sensitive-matter, additional support options are available at Contact Us.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

Is it possible that the driver for the camera has ben "lost"? If so, is there a place online to download it?  Will try your suggestion.

Tried disconnecting and restarting.  Still nothing.  Camera is not recognized.

gallium31,

The driver is built into Windows.  It may indeed be missing or corrupt, but it is difficult to determine at this point.  If it is, the driver will need to be restored.  This is something you will need to contact Microsoft for assistance with.  Until that becomes necessary, we would like to continue to troubleshoot.

1. After following my previous steps, does the camera appear in the device manager?
  2. Is your computer a laptop or a desktop?
  3. What happens when you connect the camera to another computer?
  4. What happens when you try using a different USB cable?

Since this is a more complex issue that is taking some time resolve, you may want to contact us directly by phone if possible.  This will allow us to give you real time feedback and help you get this resolved in a more timely manner.  Please call 1-800-OK-CANON.  Our representatives are available Monday to Friday, 10:00 AM to 10:00 PM EST.

1. camera still does not appear in device manager

2. laptop

3. have not tried to connect to another computer

4. get same message when using a different USB cable

gallium31,

At this point, it is probably best to contact us directly by phone.  This will allow us to give you real time feedback and help you get this resolved in a more timely manner.  Please call 1-800-OK-CANON.  Our representatives are available Monday to Friday, 10:00 AM to 10:00 PM EST.

You probably have too many pictures on your memory card. This happened to me as well when I maxed out the card memory. You have to get a card reader that will read the memory card and you have to take enough photos off it that the error goes away.
Announcements