cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon PowerShot 3IS: When I turn on my camera the screen and viewfinder are still black.

EdwardKras
Contributor

I can see only option chosen, but camera doesn't show the subject what I want to do the photo of. It looks like lenses are dead. Did anybody experienced the same?

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Ok perhaps you shutter is stuck as been reported on some older Powershots. The lubricant gets a little dried out and causes the hutter to get stuck closed.

There is a fix to free it up if that is the case. You have to set up a long exposure of 15 seconds, Be ready to open the battery door, take the shot and after about 7 seconds open the battery door up! It seems the jolt of interrupting the battery power midstream in the exposure is enough to free up the shutter.

It may have to be repeated  few times.

View solution in original post

Hi John,

You are the greatest!!!! I did it. First time it worked for several shots and the problem returned. But after

repeating the steps you advised several times, it works perfectly well. Any advice on what should I do to avoid this problem in the future?

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9

John_
Authority

You've tried pressing the Display button to see if it comes back on?

If so try taking the batteries out then hold the power switch to the on position for at least 30 seconds...replace the btteries and try it again.

Thank you. I tried first "Display", second holding "on" for 30 sec and then puttiing batteries back. Unfortunately, didn't work. Maybe there is not connection between the camera and the lenses. And, unfortunately, I can't remove the lense in this camera.

Ok can you see the menus and settings on the LCD ?

Yes, I see all the settings and menus on LCD and viewfinder.

Ok perhaps you shutter is stuck as been reported on some older Powershots. The lubricant gets a little dried out and causes the hutter to get stuck closed.

There is a fix to free it up if that is the case. You have to set up a long exposure of 15 seconds, Be ready to open the battery door, take the shot and after about 7 seconds open the battery door up! It seems the jolt of interrupting the battery power midstream in the exposure is enough to free up the shutter.

It may have to be repeated  few times.

Hi John,

You are the greatest!!!! I did it. First time it worked for several shots and the problem returned. But after

repeating the steps you advised several times, it works perfectly well. Any advice on what should I do to avoid this problem in the future?

Thats great news!! 

Well from what I've read that problem happens becuase the lubricant on the shutter mechanism dries up in some fashion.

Unless you have the camera taken apart cleaned and relubricated there's really nothing else you can do. The cost of doing that would outweigh the value of the camera though..I think ?

Of course at least now if it happens you know how to un-jam it.

Thank you John very much for all you help and advices. My warmest regards, Edward

your very welcome Edward and good luck to you !

Announcements