cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon G9 - always on (auto bootup)

mrk741
Apprentice

Dear Canon Community,

I'm working on some long term timelapses using cheap old Canon cameras with solar charging and remote connectivity. I used to use Canon 350d's but in low temperatures the mechanical shutter tend to give up. I think G9 is a perfect choice (cheap, low power, with RAW) but there is a stupid obstacle. I could leave 350d switched to "on" and even if the external battery went flat, after it was recharged enough by the solar panel it would just boot up. But it has a toggle switch. As I understand G9 has a momentary power button and after the power comes back it wouldn't turn on by itself. Is there a way to modify this behaviour? I would like it to be always on as long as there is power. I will have it connected via USB and controlled by libgphoto2. Second thing, it does have manual focus, but what focus does it default to after power up? Thank you very much for any suggestions!

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

John_
Authority

Set the power saver setting to off in the settings menu and the camera will stay on as long as it has power. The camera will remember your settings, manual or auto focus or any other settings you had made when power is turned back on. As far as the power button you would have to make an electro-mechanical device, with a solenoid to push the button momentarily once the power is sufficiently restored.

View solution in original post

John, thank you very much for your input. After I got the camera I actually decided to tap directly into the switch pins and replace the button with a relay. Disassembly is a pain but it works fine.

There is just one more problem with G9's RAW support in gphoto2 library, but I guess that's beyond this forum interest.

Thank you very much. Wish you all the best!

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

John_
Authority

Set the power saver setting to off in the settings menu and the camera will stay on as long as it has power. The camera will remember your settings, manual or auto focus or any other settings you had made when power is turned back on. As far as the power button you would have to make an electro-mechanical device, with a solenoid to push the button momentarily once the power is sufficiently restored.

John, thank you very much for your input. After I got the camera I actually decided to tap directly into the switch pins and replace the button with a relay. Disassembly is a pain but it works fine.

There is just one more problem with G9's RAW support in gphoto2 library, but I guess that's beyond this forum interest.

Thank you very much. Wish you all the best!

wow! Your a braver man than I!! lol Best of luck and Happy Holidays!

Announcements