cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon G7X ii - wrong timestamp after download.

engineco16
Contributor

I just got a G7X ii and I downloaded the photos from it to Win10 and they all show the same timestamp, not the original timestamp. Also the CR2 files will not preview, says they're corrupt or something, but they open fine in Photoshop. Any ideas on both of these issues? Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

I found the issue, MS has not updated their codec pack to include the G7X ii. I had to install a thrid party codec pack from FastPictureViewer.com. This corrects the timestamp and made the RAW images viewable in Win10 picture viewer.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

Where are you seing the timestamp? The timestamp on the *file* might be almost anything as files get copied around. The key is the timestamp in the exif data, which you can see by checking the properties of the file. The exif timestamp is what is used by most photo software to determine the time the photo was taken, since the file create time is so fungible.

For the other issue, it sounds like windows can't handle that RAW format. This is not surprising, just keep using PS.

Yes the meta data is there. Very odd as all my other Canon cameras files show the correct timestamp in exlplorer when transferred from the SD card. All 1700 photos I transferred just show the transfer time, not the taken time for this camera. Very frustrating. These are concert photos so being able to see the image and correct timestamp in explorere is critical to my needs.

And why I can't see the thumnails is beyond me. I don't have this problem with my 5 other Canon cameras RAW files.

I found the issue, MS has not updated their codec pack to include the G7X ii. I had to install a thrid party codec pack from FastPictureViewer.com. This corrects the timestamp and made the RAW images viewable in Win10 picture viewer.

Announcements