Canon Community Canon Community

New Contributor
Accepted Solution

Canon G7X II Camera Window Firmware Update missing XML with downloaded firmware file

Canon G7X II

Windows 10

I'm attempting to perform a firmware upgrade using Camera Window DC.

I have downloaded the firmware from: https://www.canon.com.au/support/sims-content?pid=6e9ea878b79e4284bb584991d921e9cc&cid=CF8A1026A40B4...

Extracting the zip I have the firmware file: PS_G7XMK2_1010.FI2, and a folder of instruction PDFs.

I use CameraWindow DC:

Capture1.PNG

On clicking Update, I point to the firmware file:

Capture2.PNG

I then receive an error about a missing XML file:

Capture3.PNG

I understand I could use a card reader for this (as I'm on Windows 10, Win 10 will recognise the Camera as a device rather than drive, and unable to copy and paste the firmware file to the SD card) however has anyone else had this issue and what did you do to fix/get the XML?

Thanks!

Reputable Contributor

Re: Canon G7X II Camera Window Firmware Update missing XML with downloaded firmware file

[ Edited ]

So you extracted the file, but now it states missing .xml.  This is interesting. 

This issue appears to be related to the Camera Window application.  It should work, but something isn't happy.

I'd forego this and use the SD card method.  In W10, your camera should be listed as a device, but its SD card should be browse-able like any other "USB Mass Storage" device allowing you to copy the .FI2" file to the root of your SD card. 

If this is not possible on your camera/computer, I'd grab an SD card reader or use another machine.  Then follow up with Canon and see what they have to say.  Their instructions do not mention using Camera Window,  so the feature should work, unless abandoned.   

Rick
Bay Area - CA
~6D2 (f/w 1.0.4) ~16-35mm f2.8L II, 50 f1.8 STM, 85 prime USM, 70-200 f2.8L IS II ~70-300 USM II ~Sigma 24-70 f2.8 Art (f/w 2.02)
~Sigma 150-600 C + TC1401 1.4x (f/w 2.00) ~Speedlite 430 EX II ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~Windows10 Pro1903 ~EVGA RTX 2080 FTW3 Ultra
Highlighted
New Contributor

Re: Canon G7X II Camera Window Firmware Update missing XML with downloaded firmware file

Hey Rick,

Thanks - a friend happened to have an SD card reader and I was able to upgrade the firmware no problem.

At least this should help anyone else who has the same issue.