cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon G16 Menu Icons Missing (can not get all the icons to show up) No Matter What I do

PhotoBombBryan
Apprentice

Hello all,

I just bought a Canon PowerShot G16.  I am trying to display the selected icons in the main menu display so I can shoot in RAW.  No matter what I do, only a set of a few icons show in the side bar menu (video, ratio, timer, pix size, and a few other icons show up).

In the setup menu, I have all items selected, but yet just a handful show (and not the ones I need).  I have tried to re-set the unit and that doesn't work.  I have tried selecting all the available options, and that didn't work.  I tried organizing them in a different way, and that didn't work.  Any thoughts??

Thanks!

5 REPLIES 5

John_
Authority

Ok well just for a shot you can remove the battery, hold the power on for at least 30 seconds then relpace the battery and try it.

A good thing but also something you don''t want to deal with is it is new so if it is a defect you ill get a new one not a refurbished one. But try that thing first it has worked for odd problems like yours. And some other people will chime in too usually

Thank you for your reply!  I really appreciate your time.  I did try that, and didn't do the trick.  I will keep that in my back pocket, as it was good advise.  It was that the RAW feature is only available in specific modes only.

Thanks!

RAW photos can only be used in the PowerShot cameras when the processor won't be doing any processing. If a mode is selected that will automatically process the jpeg file, then the RAW feature is turned off by default, and if any of the scene modes are selected, then RAW is unavailable. RAW is a feature for the "manual" modes of the camera, which is typically Tv, Av, and Manual. Some also allow RAW in P mode. Since the majority of people that use the automatic modes of the camera would not shoot in RAW, most manufacturers simply disable the feature to save space on the memory card.

Steve M.

TTMartin
Authority
Authority

@PhotoBombBryan wrote:

Hello all,

I just bought a Canon PowerShot G16.  I am trying to display the selected icons in the main menu display so I can shoot in RAW.  No matter what I do, only a set of a few icons show in the side bar menu (video, ratio, timer, pix size, and a few other icons show up).

In the setup menu, I have all items selected, but yet just a handful show (and not the ones I need).  I have tried to re-set the unit and that doesn't work.  I have tried selecting all the available options, and that didn't work.  I tried organizing them in a different way, and that didn't work.  Any thoughts??

Thanks!

The full menus are only available when you are in P, Tv, Av, or M modes. Only partial menus are available in Green Square Auto, or any of the scene mode.

Thanks!  That was the issue.  I don't understand why RAW is only available in particular settings.  I really appreciate the response, and it helped alot!

Announcements