cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon G15 Powershot want to upgrade for taking dental photos. Part recommendations wanted?

moheban79
Apprentice

Hi,

I have had a Canon Powershot G15 that I purchased for dental closeup photography though wish to use ring flash I do not own just yet. So far I purchased an FA-DC58D Filter adapter for it but still need a couple more parts. For one was told I need a macrolite adapter which I have on order. Also not sure but think I need a 250D macro closeup lens? Last but not least need a ring flash. The Canon made ring flash I found costs as much as the camera so probably want to buy a generic to keep it afordable. So was wondering if anyone has part recommendations to finish this setup?

Thank you.

PS: Found on amazon the Neewer Macro TTL Ring Flash Light with LED AF assist lamp for Canon E-TTL TTL Cameras. Its $80 and affordable. Would it work on a Powershot G15 though?

[link removed per forum guidelines]

Thanks again.

9 REPLIES 9

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

@moheban79 wrote:

Hi,

I have had a Canon Powershot G15 that I purchased for dental closeup photography though wish to use ring flash I do not own just yet. So far I purchased an FA-DC58D Filter adapter for it but still need a couple more parts. For one was told I need a macrolite adapter which I have on order. Also not sure but think I need a 250D macro closeup lens? Last but not least need a ring flash. The Canon made ring flash I found costs as much as the camera so probably want to buy a generic to keep it afordable. So was wondering if anyone has part recommendations to finish this setup?

Thank you.

PS: Found on amazon the Neewer Macro TTL Ring Flash Light with LED AF assist lamp for Canon E-TTL TTL Cameras. Its $80 and affordable. Would it work on a Powershot G15 though?

[ LINK DELETED ]

Thanks again.

I do not recommend attaching weight devices to the front lens element, as it can strain the AF motors.  Once those go, then camera is shot.  If you are taking "dental shots" then I would assume that you have one of those "dental spotlights",

Could you use that?  You could take hand held shots, or with the camera on a monopod for stability.  

Does the camera have a macro mode.  The G15 would not be my first choice for this type of macro photography.  The least costly setup would be a Canon Rebel camera with the EF-S 60mm f/2.8 Macro STM lens.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Since you have a business and can count it as a business expense, why not use a Canon EOS M-series body (lots to choose from - some more compact than others) with the EF-M 28mm Macro lens, which has a built-in ring flash.

cheers, TREVOR

"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

moheban79
Apprentice
Who ever said I have a business. Trying to use what I have. Limited funds. Thanks.

As you stated you were doing "dental closeup photography", it was not unreasonable to assume that you were doing it as a business.  Smiley Surprised   As most people would not choose this as a hobby, is it for academic purposes?

cheers, TREVOR

"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

@moheban79 wrote:
Who ever said I have a business. Trying to use what I have. Limited funds. Thanks.

How limited are your funds - i.e. what's your budget?

cheers, TREVOR

I found this - not knowing your budget I can't say whether it is suitable but it IS designed for dental work and for the G15

[Removed link per forum guidelines - not well known company, has link to buy product. Name of product is "Doctors Eyes."]

cheers, TREVOR

@Tronhard,

Thanks for the tip. I looked them up and that ring flash would be perfect! Hopefuly its not too expensive as like I said limited funds.

Thanks!

The site indicated a price of $65, I believe - oops that was for the case.  sorry

cheers, TREVOR

Found that Doctorseyes Flash on B&H 

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1025776-REG/doctors_eyes_de_86cs_compact_system_with_led.html

Just seems very expensive. I mean for that kind of money I might as well get the Canon -MR14EX Ring flash...

Thanks

Announcements