cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cannot connect Powershot G9 X to computer

MillValleyGirl
Apprentice

I am running a Mac OS X 10.11.6 and have downloaded the software Camera Window from Canon but cannot find any way to download my images and videos from the camera to the computer while connected via USB. I've tried Image Capture and cannot find the device on the left hand side of the dialog box. And whenever I try and launch Camera Window it tells me that "No Camera Found".  I've tried going through Photos and "import" but it cannot find the camera either. I even removed the card and tried connecting to an old card reader which didn't work (card reader is 10+ years old so that didn't surprise me.) 

Please help!

7 REPLIES 7

Richard
Product Expert
Product Expert

Hi MillValleyGirl,

Thanks for posting.

When you connect your camera to your computer, then turn it on in the playback mode:

1. What do you see on your camera's display?
  2. Does your computer respond at all (i.e. windows, beeps, etc)?
Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

The display on the camera is whatever image was taken last as it is in playback mode. The computer makes no sound and doesn't seem to recognize it at all. 

Hi MillValleyGirl,

Thanks for your reply.

There may be an issue with the USB connection, itself. Is your camera connected directly to your Mac or is the USB connection routed through a peripheral or USB Hub? (We recommend connecting your camera directly to your computer.)

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

When connecting the micro USB to the camera an orange light goes on between the menu and info buttons on the right side of the screen. I turn the camera on and press playback and still get nothing. I don't think my cable is bad as it works with my Nikon. 

Did you initialized ( format ) your camera card with the computer before using?

If you formated the card with camera menu then it might be, it  can not be read by your computer.

Orange light is an indicator that there is connection between the camera and computer.

Hi MillValleyGirl,

If you're stil not able to get your PowerShot G9 X to connect to your Mac, we'd recommend one-on-one support. Our friendly, US-based team can be reached, for free, by phone during the week at 1-800-OK-CANON (800-652-2666) from 10am to 10pm (ET). They'll be happy to walk you through the process!

newsense52
Rising Star

I used canon image getaway - canon usa, to dowload pictures to my picture folder.

What i did is open picture folder, connect camera usb to computer,  press "on"  the camera and press the camera playback.

If no reaction takes place, click camera icon on the task bar.

A window icon appear on the upper right of screen and click import.

If the usb is bad, look for HDMI cable ( with mini usb connected to camera and HDMI to computer ).

Announcements