cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't upload photos via USB cable/SX720 HS

Nagal
Contributor

This camera is causing me "conniptions". It took me a week to fix the problem of being unable to upload photos via WIFI and now this! I was, prior to having WIFI issues, uploading my photos to my computer via the USB cable. I had no issues. Then I had WIFI issues when I traveled which I had difficulty correcting. I eventually fixed the issue. However, I then found I could no longer upload my photos using the USB cable. In fact I thought the cable must be faulty so I ordered a new one. Same problem. Yesterday I eventually started up an old laptop and had no problem uploading my photos from my camera to the laptop, using either of the two cables I now own. However, I cannot get the photos uploaded to my desktop, even though I was doing so for several months prior to the WIFI issue. I have tried everything I can think of and looked at all the help files, and still unable to upload. Please help!!!

I might add when I had the WIFI issue and contacted Canon I found the "support" unhelpful. They clearly didn't read my emails as they told me things I had already tried and mentioned in the emails, and when I tried to call I got a constantly busy response and never got to a customer  service person. I eventually did correct the problem myself but it took over a week.  I have owned Canon cameras for the past 25yrs and never had issues. I own an EOS which I use locally but bought this small camera for travel, and it is giving me a lot of issues. Any advice on fixing this issue will be appreciated. 

13 REPLIES 13

Hi JNAnderson,

Thank you for posting.

Your camera's Wi-Fi settings don't affect its USB connection.

When connecting your camera to your computer, we recommend the following:

• If your computer is a desktop unit, we recommend selecting a USB terminal on the back of your computer. These terminals normally have a better signal and more power than USB terminals on the front of your computer.
  • If your computer is a laptop, please ensure that it's running on A.C. (household) power.
  • When connecting your computer, we recommend against the use of a USB hub. We recommend connecting your camera's USB cable directly to your computer.

When your camera is connected, as described above, please turn it on, using the Playback button on the back of the camera. The playback mode is also the camera's computer connection mode.

With your camera connected to your computer as suggested above and powered on in the playback mode:

1. Does your computer respond at all, when the camera is powered on in the playback mode (i.e. beeps, windows, notifications, etc)?
  2. What do you see on your camera's display?
Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

cfkirchner
Apprentice

I will never buy another Canon product either.  I have tried everything to get this camera to transfer images to two different computers and my I-phone in every imaginable way.  I have downloaded and reinstalled the software, I tried NFS, or whatever it's called.  I have tried wi-fi and usb.  This thing worked okay (but just okay) just a couple of weeks ago.  I have a Canon printer that has been the biggest hassle to use that I've ever had.  I've had several HP and Lexmark printers over the years that have been much, much, much more intuitive (and easy) to use, to load paper in, to change ink cartridges in, just everything.  None of my devices will even recognize that there is a camera at the end of it.  I have just wasted at least twenty hours trying to transfer five very important pictures (important for my wife).  I was up messing with this until almost four o'clock this morning.  I'm a pretty smart, tech savvy guy and my son-in-law is a network guy for a MAJOR computer company and even he couldn't figure it out, except to say that the camera is effed up. , And it's only about a year old.  I am livid!

I have never had an issue using a USB cable to tranfer images from my many canon's to my many mac's.

But, in your case, I would have given up long ago and used a card reader. You might have one built in to your computer or monitor.

Oh yeah...that was always the tertiary plan, it's just the principle of the thing.  That's eventually what I did, which is a lot like admitting defeat.  I have a card reader slot on my lap top, but not on the home computer my wife uses...so I had to upload to onedrive, or whatever it is I use these days...

Announcements