cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't upload photos via USB cable/SX720 HS

Nagal
Contributor

This camera is causing me "conniptions". It took me a week to fix the problem of being unable to upload photos via WIFI and now this! I was, prior to having WIFI issues, uploading my photos to my computer via the USB cable. I had no issues. Then I had WIFI issues when I traveled which I had difficulty correcting. I eventually fixed the issue. However, I then found I could no longer upload my photos using the USB cable. In fact I thought the cable must be faulty so I ordered a new one. Same problem. Yesterday I eventually started up an old laptop and had no problem uploading my photos from my camera to the laptop, using either of the two cables I now own. However, I cannot get the photos uploaded to my desktop, even though I was doing so for several months prior to the WIFI issue. I have tried everything I can think of and looked at all the help files, and still unable to upload. Please help!!!

I might add when I had the WIFI issue and contacted Canon I found the "support" unhelpful. They clearly didn't read my emails as they told me things I had already tried and mentioned in the emails, and when I tried to call I got a constantly busy response and never got to a customer  service person. I eventually did correct the problem myself but it took over a week.  I have owned Canon cameras for the past 25yrs and never had issues. I own an EOS which I use locally but bought this small camera for travel, and it is giving me a lot of issues. Any advice on fixing this issue will be appreciated. 

13 REPLIES 13

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

Turn off wifi when you use the cable.

I do not see how to turn Wifi completely off. I turned the NFC off. Made no difference. However, I don't see why this would matter as I wasn't doing this previously. I had Wifi operational AND could still upload photos so what is different? When I click on the "upload" from camera in my photos file, that I used prior to 2 weeks ago, it says it can't find anything to upload. There are more than 700 photos on the camera. Plus it uploads to my laptop. It is just confusing.

What is the desktop computer OS?

Need to clarify that you mentioned NFC off -  you want transfer  to cell phone via usb?

Do you have SD card reader in your desktop computer?

You have mentioned that is working before and now no more using usb cable transfer to desktop computer?

@Nagal wrote:

I do not see how to turn Wifi completely off. I turned the NFC off. Made no difference. However, I don't see why this would matter as I wasn't doing this previously. I had Wifi operational AND could still upload photos so what is different? When I click on the "upload" from camera in my photos file, that I used prior to 2 weeks ago, it says it can't find anything to upload. There are more than 700 photos on the camera. Plus it uploads to my laptop. It is just confusing.

The camera is not smart enough to know use Wi-Fi or USB by itself.  You must tell it which method to use, one or the other.  If you believe that the camera once figured it out by itself, you are mistaken.  It was just coincidence that worked in your favor.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

"The camera is not smart enough" ...

The questions was not answered and no idea how to go on, incomplete info will give incomplete solution. Remember that the operator operates the camera/computer  and not the camera/computer has to think by itselt.

Still no_one has explained how to turn Wifi off. I have gone through all the menu items and do not see an "on/off" on wifi. Could someone explain it step by step?

... explained how to turn Wifi off...

Select any method you want if you are using windows 10:

1)  At the bottom right  screen notification area click on airplane icon and click wifi to off the function.

2)  Click on windows logo: type in internet connection troubleshooting,at network and sharing center, change adapter settings, see at upper left- wifi  can be off.

Richard
Product Expert
Product Expert

Hi Nagal,

Thanks for posting.

With regard to your camera's Wi-Fi setting, there's no need to turn it off. This is an issue for a few EOS Digital SLR cameras.

If you're still unable to transfer via USB, from your description, it sounds like the driver for your camera has become corrupted and needs to be removed and reinstalled.

Which operating system do you have on your computer?

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

Okay, I have looked at all the replies above and not had any luck. I am using Windows 10 64 bit. I have been able to transfer from the camera to the computer using a USB cable before, but cannot do so now. Plugging in the camera and turning it on results in nothing. I have rebooted both camera and computer multiple times. I have made sure the micro USB is plugged in fully. I've turned off every WiFi option on the camera. This was working fine with this cable just a few weeks ago. If the driver in Windows needs to be replaced, I need instructions on how to do that, which driver, where to find it, how to uninstall it and how to locate another copy or more recent copy. I have never had this much trouble with any other camera I have ever owned. This is about to turn me off of Canon as tech support is not helpful at all. Please help!

Thanks!

John

Announcements