cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't update to new firmware on Powershot SX530HS

IhateCanon1
Contributor

I am very impressed that Canon chose to update their firmware without warning during a global pandemic with NO customer support.

It is grreat, just GREAT, that I can't connect my Powershot SX530 HS to my iPhone or computer through Wifi anymore.  I now have a very expenisve paperweight.

The update will wipe the entire memory card?  Good thing we have a way to get all those pictures saved, right???  Oh, wait a second....

So, after borrowing an adapter, and buying and formating a new card, I followed the directions and downloaded the firmward update onto the new card which had been formatted in the camera per instructions.

Then putting it back in the camera, it can take pictures.  But when trying to connect to the Canon.Image rather than the old image Gateway, all it does is tell me that I need to update the date and time (which is correct and what it did before)..

Not that anyone has major life events happening now while also trying to take care of a job and homeschoolign children, but Canon can't bother answering the #&^*(& phone.  Boy I am so happy I have a Canon camera. 

24 REPLIES 24

Mark35mmF2
Product Expert
Product Expert

Hi there IHateCanon1,

If the date and time are getting lost, that may indicate that the camera's time and date battery is not maintaining a charge. This ususally happens if the camera is not used for a while, the internal battery needs a freshly charged battery in it for about 24 hours to put a substantial charge onto that internal battery so it keeps the time and date. Another potential cause would be if your camera is set to the 24-hour clock and the time is set like a 12-hour clock, for example 4:00 as 4:00 am instead of 4:00 pm which would read as 16:00 on a 24-hour clock. This can cause a problem because if the time and date is not similar to that on the connecting device the software may get confused as to which data it should use.

If the time and date are correctly set and the date/time battery maintains its charge, it would be best to follow the instructions on image.canon from the beginning as if you were setting up a new connection to make sure the Wireless connection settings are properly set.

@Mark35mmF2 wrote:

Hi there IHateCanon1,

If the date and time are getting lost, that may indicate that the camera's time and date battery is not maintaining a charge. This ususally happens if the camera is not used for a while, the internal battery needs a freshly charged battery in it for about 24 hours to put a substantial charge onto that internal battery so it keeps the time and date. Another potential cause would be if your camera is set to the 24-hour mygiftcardsite clock and the time is set like a 12-hour clock, for example 4:00 as 4:00 am instead of 4:00 pm which would read as 16:00 on a 24-hour clock. This can cause a problem because if the time and date is not similar to that on the connecting device the software may get confused as to which data it should use.

If the time and date are correctly set and the date/time battery maintains its charge, it would be best to follow the instructions on image.canon from the beginning as if you were setting up a new connection to make sure the Wireless connection settings are properly set.

Hello,

Thanks for the update and quick reply. I'll be sure to keep an eye on this thread. Looking for the same issue.

IhateCanon1
Contributor
Thanks so much for your reply.

The camera had not been used in a few months, but before using it, the battery was charged for at least 24 hours.

Then after the event for which it was used, the pictures were attempted to upload wirelessly to Canon Image Gateway and it said to fix the date and time.
As far as I can tell the time and date are 100% accurate to now. I can’t see any option of military time or not. I can choose to display month or day first but not 12 hour or 24 hour time, that does not appear to be an option.

I have already followed the manual to add a new connection- it finds my old iPhone2 or image Gateway and then tells me to start dedicated app on Target device (I have the new app) and never finds it, or it tells me to fix the time and date (which appears to be correct).

However when I tried factory reset and also to manually do a connection to the updated web service how one would originally connect it just tells me to “set the correct date and time”

Should I randomly start guessing what they think the correct date and time is?

Hi IhateCanon1,

If you are still seeing the icon for the Canon Image Gateway instead of image.canon, your firmware has not yet been updated. After you put the firmware update on the SD memory card, did you go into the menu and run the firmware update?

Hello,

Thanks again for your help.

I did follow the directions, and it took a few tries.

I have updated the firmware.  When I went to Firmware  did not have Firmware update on the menu half the time.  But evenutally I got the camera to admit the firmware is already updated.

The connection to wifi is no longer showing iPhone, iPhone2 or Canon Gateway.

Now it just states it cannot connect at all, to any device.  It says to start the dedicated app (and I have my iPhone with image.cannon app open an inch away) then takes 5 minutes and decides it can't find it.

It finds my access point Wifi and I entered my Wifi Password.  But can't find image.Canon

Any ideas?

I am not having any luck with this firmware update either.  I have done all the steps that was told to do.  But when I go in to try to update i dont see where I can select that option.  This is the bottom of the options that I have.  Any help would be nice.  according to what I seen in the pic for updating there should be 3 more otions that I do not seeIMG_2435.jpg

I was going nuts with this too.  I don't see a Menu option on the camera for Firmware Update.  And I get the same error of Set the Time and Date and I did and it just keeps telling me the same thing.   I can make a wireless connection to my router at home and I can connect to an Android app just fine.  But I can't get to the point to Register the phone because it just shows that Time/date message.  You hit OK and it goes away.  Ugh.  What kind of craziness is this?  Never seen anything like this in the digital product world.  I have a Canon printer and it has none of these issues.  

Same issue with trying to set up different connections.  Trying to connect either says time and date are wrong - or that my security details for the wifi connection are wrong.  Eventually found a suggestion to upgrade firmware - downloaded, formatted the SD, loaded the firmware - put it in the camera - but then the menu that is supposed to have "update firmware" doesn't exist!  Is this some sort of escape room where I picked the wrong object to start with??

Tronhard
Elite
Elite

I recognize that you are very frustrated and angry, but the issues you have can be resolved.

From your statements, you apparently rely on your camera's memory card for long-term storage - that is not what they are designed for. That creates a significant risk, as memory cards fail eventually and you don't want to lose your photos..  What you should be doing is take the photos and then, when you can do so, immediately download them to another device - usually a computer, on which you can then do your PP.  Then you format the card clean and start again (don't just delete files, that creates file error blocks in the cards' file system that will eventually corrupt the card).   You should back up your computer regularly and thus be assured that your images are safe.

The good news is that you don't have a very expensive paper weight.  Until you get a better solution, remove the card from the camera, plug it into an SD card reader that is either part of your computer, or attached via a USB adapter - they are cheap to purchase, if necessary.  The computer will recognize the card as a normal drive and then you copy the files to your computer using your file manager.  There are actually advantages to this compared to other methods.  It takes less actions, is faster to download and does not drain your camera's battery - sometimes the simplest process is the best.

cheers, TREVOR

"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris
Announcements