cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't connect SX530 HS to PC via wi-fi

Jamz58
Apprentice

I have a Powershot SX530 HS. I have no issues connecting it to my wireless network and seeing my PC but I can't connect to my PC. I can see the camera show up on our home network while it tries to connect but it times out after about a minute and the camera says "Connection failed". I have run the Wi-Fi Connection Setup software on my Windows 10 PC.
Any ideas how to resolve this?

13 REPLIES 13

@Jamz58 wrote:

I have a Powershot SX530 HS. I have no issues connecting it to my wireless network and seeing my PC but I can't connect to my PC. I can see the camera show up on our home network while it tries to connect but it times out after about a minute and the camera says "Connection failed". I have run the Wi-Fi Connection Setup software on my Windows 10 PC.
Any ideas how to resolve this?

It sounds as though you're saying that both the computer and the camera are wi-fi clients and are trying to contact each other through a previously existing access point that serves your home network. Is that the case, and is it what both the camera nnd the computer expect? What is the "Wi-Fi Connection Setup software" that's now on your PC? (I assume that when you say you've "run" it, you mean that you've "installed" it.) What security protocol does your wi-fi network use, and are you sure the camera is set up to use it correctly?

To put it another way: Have you set up the connection between the camera and the computer exactly as your instruction manual suggests, or are you assuming that all wi-fi networks are similar and that the camera will automatically know its place? You can ignore these questions if you're really knowledgeable about wi-fi, but I have to tell you that a lot of people who think they are, aren't.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

I thought I was pretty clear that connecting to Wi-Fi was not an issue.

Thanks, but I figured it out and am connected. Case closed.

Jamz58

I am having the same issue, would you share how you solved?  Thanks

Sure Frenchfrey,

I simply missed a step in the instructions. If you have the same eaxact model, see step 9 on page 108 of the manual. The camera is actually waiting for you add the device through the Windows Control Panel.

It was that simple for me. I hope that helps.

AH!  control panel, of course!!  im on windows 10 so i had to go searching to find control panel and the add device setting since win10 hides control panel and uses their fancy new annoying settings app.  

anyways thank you this fixed my issue

You may want to try disabling your antivirus or firewall. The Avast firewall that I am just demoing blocked the camera from connecting.

frenchfrey
Apprentice
Thank you. Your first suggestion worked for me.

Nanny
Apprentice

I joined this communityy just to help anyone who has bought the Powershot Sx530  . Try as I might I couldn't connect it to my mac with wifi. Then I looked at the Cannon online store and they sell an interface cable IFC-400PC . it says that it is included with many of their cameras and NOT included with many other models . I easly checked  what cameras it was capatible with on the store site  and the SX530 is one of them . It's a $12 item with 2 day free shipping !!! The cable plugs into USB port on computer and the A/V out Digital  port on the camera . Works like a charm or like all my other digital cameras. Why they don't mention this in the manuals or PDFs I can't imagine ??? They could sell another part and save people countless aggrivating hours trying to hook up thru wifi .  Another easy way to make it work is to just take out memory card and put it in a a card reader . Later year Macs all have card readers .

Have a Wonderful 2017 !!

Nancy

does that cable llow you to view live feed off your camera onto your computer screen???!

Announcements