cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't connect SX530 HS to MacBook via wi-fi

Arielfrmn9
Apprentice

i just recently got the canon sx530 hs for Christmas. i am now familiarizing myself with the overall functionality but i am having such a tough time connecting the camera to my Mac. are they compatible? it was a tad annoying getting the camera to connect with my smartphone, but with a few minutes of tinkering with it, i was successful. Please help, how  do you connect the power shot to a Macbook?

8 REPLIES 8

Richard
Product Expert
Product Expert

Hi Arielfrmn9,

Thanks for posting.

Your camera is compatible with Mac OS X 10.8.2, or later.

You'll want to ensure that you've installed CameraWindow DC 8.10.9b for Mac OS X from our website.

For step-by-step information on making the connection, please click here.  If you continue to encounter difficulty, please let us know the following:

1. Which version oof Mac are you using?
  2. Are you able to log into your Canon iMAGE Gateway account via a web browser?
  3. What specific issues have you encountered when attempting the connection?
Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

lindseywestberg
Apprentice

I am having the same problem.  The camera wifi and computer are found but they will not connect.  the camera says "connecting" at the top with 

"connected device: <name>" 

then a thinking circle that goes around

"cancel" button at the bottom. 

the computer says "no camera was found" on the camera window. image transfer utility under add new camera is blank. 

i am using the (i think) latest version of mac software, v10.12.14

i have messed with this for about 12 hours over two separate weekends and am about ready to take the camera back.  i have used different emails to try to register it, as half the time the "passwords" dont work even though they are the same. 

i sent a message to support and they told me to call M-F, which I cannot do with my work schedule. 

@lindseywestberg wrote:

I am having the same problem.  The camera wifi and computer are found but they will not connect.  the camera says "connecting" at the top with 

"connected device: <name>" 

then a thinking circle that goes around

"cancel" button at the bottom. 

the computer says "no camera was found" on the camera window. image transfer utility under add new camera is blank. 

i am using the (i think) latest version of mac software, v10.12.14

i have messed with this for about 12 hours over two separate weekends and am about ready to take the camera back.  i have used different emails to try to register it, as half the time the "passwords" dont work even though they are the same. 

i sent a message to support and they told me to call M-F, which I cannot do with my work schedule. 

Did you go to the link to watch the video, which the moderator posted?

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Yes.  I get to 7 (can skip 7a and 7b since those are for windows.  Then, "step 4" just doesnt work.  there is no way to import pictures.  the camera then says "connection failed"

dankind
Apprentice

The problem still exists for the SX540 HS model. It's unbelievable that canon just doesn't seem to care about mac users. I've been fiddling with the thing all morning to no avail. Canon seems like they were trying having videos available to set up wifi for mac, windows, ios, and android but the mac video is unavailable?! ( https://support.usa.canon.com/kb/index?page=content&id=ART166802&cat=ADMINISTRATIVE&actp=LIST ) This is extremely frustrating.

What a sh*t show. I finally got it working. Canon has a hidden video amoung all the other docs that google suggested I try at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cA27tLk9j7A that explains you NEED to sign up to and use Canon iMage Gateway to be able to transfer files to your computer over wifi. Very poor user experience. It does work in the end though.

Canon cameras are not able to connect over WiFi to any Mac computers running on macOS 10.13 High Sierra, 10.12 Sierra and 10.11 El Capitan. i.e. Canon CameraWindow (WirelessCameraService) has not been compatible with macOS since September 2015 for WiFi connections!!!

The ImageSync process over the internet (Canon iMage Gateway) with the necessary up- and downloading of many  tons of images is a far-fetched (and in many cases an expensive) work-around for a software incompatibility problem, - it is not a software solution 😞

Announcements