cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't connect Powershot to Mac computer

jennam
Apprentice

Hey there! I bought this brand new mac desktop computer this past summer. This past week I purchased a Canon Powershot SX530 HS for taking pictures for our school yearbook. I tried to connect my camera to my mac seeing as I'm going to need to transfer my images to the computer so I can start the yearbook spread. However, I'm having trouble connecting. I tried following the directions but nothing works. I know it's not the computer because it is running the most up to date software. The camera located my computer and my wifi but every time I try to transfer photos it says "searching for device" and it always says it's undetected. The canon software that I downloaded for the computer also says that a camera hasn't been detected. Any suggestions? It seems like there are a lot of directions for Windows users but there's not a lot to go off of for mac users.

6 REPLIES 6

Jason
Whiz

Hi, jennam!

Welcome to the Canon Forums and thanks for your post!

To have a better understanding of your issue, please let everyone know the specific version of Mac you are running (ex. 10.8, 10.9, 10.10 etc). You can verify by clicking on the Apple sign in the top-left corner and choosing 'About this Mac.'

If this is a time-sensitive matter, our US-based technical support team is standing by, ready to help 24/7 via Email at http://bitly.com/CanonEmail or by phone at 1-800-OK-CANON (1-800-652-2666) weekdays between 10 AM and 10 PM ET (7 AM to 7 PM PT).

Thanks!

Hi there! I'm using OS X El Capitan 10.11.6

You can always take the card out and use a reader. The Mac might have one built in.

If your camera has wireless, turn it off.

Try a different cable.

I have never had an issue plugging any of my Canon's into any of my Mac's. It usually just works.

When I turn on my camera it's finging my mac. It's also finding my internet, but it can't connect with the computer. I even tried doing the WPS connection and it can't find anything that way either.

I have a cannon powershot and cannot download photos from the camera to my iMac Computer 10.14.6 Mojave.  What is the problem?

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

Don't think just because you have the latest computer software that you won't have a problem. That could be the problem if you have an earlier model camera. 

I checked the SX530HS support site and it looks like the camera software may not be supported beyond OS 10.10. 

Give Canon a call at 1-800-OK -CANON. 

It it may be easier to just use a card reader and forget camera connection. 

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic
Announcements