Canon Community Canon Community

Highlighted
New Contributor

Can someone help me pleaseeee I was wondering if I could hook a rode video mic to my canonsx50hs ?

Highlighted
Product Expert

Re: Can someone help me pleaseeee I was wondering if I could hook a rode video mic to my canonsx50hs

Hi Hashy666,

The PowerShot SX50 HS does not have a terminal that will connect to an external microphone.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.
Highlighted
New Contributor

Re: Can someone help me pleaseeee I was wondering if I could hook a rode video mic to my canonsx50hs

To confirm, will connecting a label mic to an SX50 HS via a 5 pin Mini USB Male/3.5mm Female cable work or not?

Thanks.

Highlighted
VIP

@ayberry wrote:

To confirm, will connecting a label mic to an SX50 HS via a 5 pin Mini USB Male/3.5mm Female cable work or not?

Thanks.

Probably not.  

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Doctor told me to get out and walk, so I bought a Canon."
Highlighted
Respected Contributor

That USB idea will not work and could damage your camera. If that was possible Canon would have mentioned it in the manual but the manual only addresses the built-in mics. I would not try it you may wind up with a camera-shaped paperweight.

Highlighted
New Contributor

Thanks, John.
Highlighted
Respected Contributor

You're welcome!