cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can not format memory card

corathel
Apprentice

Canon PowerShot SX 10 IS will not format 16GB SanDisk Ultra.  Camera says Memory card error.  Everything else seems to be working on the camera.  Is there a way to fix this problem?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

The specs on your camera say it will work with the following cards, SD/SDHC Memory Card, MultiMediaCard, MMC Plus Card, HC MMC Plus Card.

Some memory cards rate their speeds by a "class." Canon cameras are recommended to be used with cards rated at class 4 for SD (Standard Definition movies) and class 6 for HD (High Definition Movies) or higher because of the large amount of data being written to the card. As long as the card adheres to the following card standards, the memory card should be compatible regardless of the class or speed rating.

SD

Secure Digital standard card supports capacities up to 2 GB.

SDHC

Secure Digital High Capacity currently supports capacities up to 32 GB.

MMC

MultiMedia Card supports capacities up to 1 GB.

MMCPlus

MultiMediaCardPlus supports up to 4GB currently.

HC MMCPlus

High Capacity MultiMediaCardPlus supports up to 8 GB capacities currently.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

cicopo
Elite

I suspect you've bought a newer type of card than your camera can recognize. From the look of it the SX10 IS was released in 2008 and it won't be able to recognize the newer formats of current fast cards.

"A skill is developed through constant practice with a passion to improve, not bought."

Is there a way to purchase a different type of memory card for and older camera like mine?

The specs on your camera say it will work with the following cards, SD/SDHC Memory Card, MultiMediaCard, MMC Plus Card, HC MMC Plus Card.

Some memory cards rate their speeds by a "class." Canon cameras are recommended to be used with cards rated at class 4 for SD (Standard Definition movies) and class 6 for HD (High Definition Movies) or higher because of the large amount of data being written to the card. As long as the card adheres to the following card standards, the memory card should be compatible regardless of the class or speed rating.

SD

Secure Digital standard card supports capacities up to 2 GB.

SDHC

Secure Digital High Capacity currently supports capacities up to 32 GB.

MMC

MultiMedia Card supports capacities up to 1 GB.

MMCPlus

MultiMediaCardPlus supports up to 4GB currently.

HC MMCPlus

High Capacity MultiMediaCardPlus supports up to 8 GB capacities currently.

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

Is the lock switch indvertently switched to "Lock"

images.jpg

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

Hello, I've had this issue previously and can't remember what I did. The issue is removing the memory card from the camera and being read on my laptop. The laptop is not recognizant the card.

If I put it in the camera to unmount, it says I will loose the images...so what's a gal to do? Help appreciated.

rumiart52
Apprentice

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hdufdrJeark

Check this i format SDXC 128gb (exFat ) to Fat32,

and it's working fine on my 450d canon which is running 128gb

try the link!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hdufdrJeark

Announcements