cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I pause Canon SX50 Video when shooting? Videoing a football game.

jabba1531
Apprentice

I'm looking to video my sons football games to review later. The SX50 is great because I can take still photos while filming, But can I or How do I "pause" video filming between plays so at the end of the game I don't have 50 different video flies that I need to edit together? I know the SX50 is not a cam but I hope for little or no editing time.

3 REPLIES 3

Limmie
Enthusiast

I don't have the SX50 but since nobody else has replied...  I don't think there is a way to pause it.  At least not any way on any of the 3 Powershots I have owned, including one of Canon's newest.  As you observe, it isn't a video camera.  Canon's Movie Edit software (which I presume came bundled with your camera too) does a fair job of editing video and it is fairly easy to splice movies with it.  I think it would be a rare instance where you shoot video and do not want to edit it in some way anyway.  I know I wouldn't want a day's worth of my video all strung together because there's always bits and pieces I don't want.  With the SX280 in particular I would keep on accidentally pushing the movie button and I'd end up with half a dozen movies of the ground at the end of the day that were 3 seconds long.  It was much easier to delete them (e.g., by looking for really small movie files) than have to try to edit them out of a 30 minute sequence. 

Powershots: A80, SD1300is, SX280 (returned)

I've read the CHDK PDF and it says that this is a possible HACK. Knowing this implies that this would be available to Canon to make available. It would be a real neat function to have, officially!

Cheers

Grazie

How can you?

@Grazie wrote:
I've read the CHDK PDF and it says that this is a possible HACK. Knowing this implies that this would be available to Canon to make available. It would be a real neat function to have, officially!

Cheers

Grazie

Announcements