cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I copy the memory card files back on my re-fomated card?

Apav
Contributor

I followed the instructions to reformat my memory card.  I had the "invalid .jpeg" message on my camera screen.  I first copied all camera files on the card to my desktop.  I re-formated the card.  The movie files now play.  Can I copy the original camera files back to the memory card?  Nothing has been renamed or otherwise changed.

25 REPLIES 25

to kvbarkley - I'm always looking to expand my knowledge. Do you have background material/link on source of your info on jpeg viewability? Thanks.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

@jrhoffman75 wrote:

to kvbarkley - I'm always looking to expand my knowledge. Do you have background material/link on source of your info on jpeg viewability? Thanks.

I wish I could find a link, but one thing is for certain.  Images shot on one camera cannot be displayed on another camera.  It seems that camera firmware examines at least some the EXIF data [camera serial number?] associated with an image file.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

No, I have no other information. Just the boilerplate in the manual.

One other thing that could be happening is that hidden files might be being copied along with the jpegs. For example, OSX creates files that have a '.' as the first character to store meta data. I know this has caused fits with some digital photo frames. The OP might want to look at the card with an option to show hidden files.

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend
Try formatting on PC and then copy the folders onto a blank card.
John Hoffman
Conway, NH

I need more information, please.  I'm not very techy.  What am I formatting on my PC and how do I do it?

Insert your SD card into the card reader on the PC. Select the SD card, right click and in the menu that appears select Format. Once it is formatted move the two camera folders to the SD card. 

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

Am I doing a "quick format" or something else?

Quick format will be fine. 

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

I performed a quick format od hw card on my laptop, and copied the folders back to the card.  Camera display still says "incompatible jpeg."  Thank everyone for your assistance; I guess this is a peculiarity of the camera.  I will mention this problem on a review on amazon.com.  Otherwise, I love the camera.

You could give Canon a call at 1-800-OK -CANON and see if they have any guidance. 

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

Announcements