cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Camera window not working on android lollipop with nexus 5 phone

pud
Apprentice

Hi

I've just got canon SX60 camera and cannot connect the camerawindow app to the camera.

44 REPLIES 44

trogau
Apprentice

Got excited when I saw a new version of the CameraWindow app today. Upgraded, loaded it and got a dialog saying CameraWindow was being replaced by a new app called Canon Camera Connect:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=jp.co.canon.ic.cameraconnect&hl=en

Unfortunately this new app still doesn't work on Lollipop. The app page itself mentions it only supports up to Android 4.4

Hello Trogau.  You are correct in saying that Canon Connect does not work with Lollipop either.  Canon have been aware of the problem with both CanonCamera and Canon Connect  for months but cannot give any date for a fix.  If you want wi-fi on a new camera and you have Lollipop then you will have to get a camera from another manufacturer.  It's tough on those who have already bought Canon. 

The entire reason I wanted my SX 600 camera for Christmas was so I could do remote shooting from my Nexus 5. Yet now almost 2 months later I still can't use it.

For all I know, the WiFI Access point on the might be defective, but I wouldn't even know because I have no way of testing it with my Nexus 5 phone. The phone SAYS its connected to the access point, but the Canon app(s) just say "Operate the camera to establish a connection."

kthomas,  Yes you are experiencing the same symptoms as most of the rest of us.  The fault is with the Canon software rather than the AP not working on your camera.   You will see from other posts that Canon has now replaced the Camera app with the Connect app.  However the same fault still exists in the new Connect app.   We have to hope that Canon is doing something rather than just saying that they are doing something.  Many people regret buying Canon on the strength of their (false) claim of wireless connectivity. 

Adding my 2 cents. I just bought a G7 X in December. The connection works fine with my Android tablet, which is running Kitkat, but not my Nexus, which is on Lollipop. Same issue as described above.

Canon, please fix this. Lollipop has been out for a while now and your lack of attention to this suggests an indifference to your customers' needs.

davehorscroft
Apprentice
For what it's worth I'm experiencing all the same problems and frustrations.
CW worked fine on my nexus 5 running KitKat but stopped with the lollipop update. Had high hopes for the "new" canon connect app, but it's just a facelift of the same old CW app that is totally useless without the support for the current android os.
It's just not good enough, enticing people in with claims of WiFi connectivity they just isn't kept up to date.
Thanks for nothing canon.

Canon:
Do you monitor this forum?
Is there a time frame?
Have you orphaned us?
Hello hello hello

Dustin2
Apprentice
I just received a notification that Camera Connect has been updated with Android 5.0 support. I will test and see if it works

jeremyw
Apprentice
Just updated from the Play Store and it's now fully functional on the Nexus 4 with Lollipop. Hooray!

Just updated Camera connect from Google Play Store and still not working on my nexus 5.

well done canon.

Announcements