cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Camera turns off when I try to look at pictures?

SomeOtherGuy22
Contributor
My PowerShot SX530 HS doesn't let me look at the pictures I've taken. I've tried charging it, switching SD cards, but nothing has worked. When I press the play back button, the camera just turns off.
8 REPLIES 8

Richard
Product Expert
Product Expert

Hi SomeOtherGuy22,

Thank you for posting.

First, please ensure that your camera's battery is fully charged and your camera is not connected to any external devices.

Next, please remove the memory card from your camera, power the camera on in the playback mode. Does the camera stay powered on? If so, which memory card(s) are you using?

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

Im having the same issue. Mine says "No memory card"

@NHenson wrote:

Im having the same issue. Mine says "No memory card"

I will assume that there is a memory card in the camera.  So, it must be bad. 

Buy a new card.  Consult the camera’s instruction manual to see what type f card to buy.  Do not buy a micro-SD card with an adapter.  Most of the current cameras are perfectly happy with a Class 1 32 GB SD card, like the Sandisk Extreme.

I suggest that you visit a local camera store to buy a memory card.  Buying cards on Amazon and eBay is not recommended because their are a lot of counterfeit cards out there.

I buy all of my online cards from B&H.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

SomeOtherGuy22
Contributor
The battery is fully charged. The camera does not turn off without the memory card. I'm using a Transcend 32GB SD card. I've tried using a few different ones but I don't remember what they were.

A charged battery is not necessarily a good battery have you tried another battery?

SomeOtherGuy22
Contributor
No, I haven't had much of a chance to get one. When there's no memory card it doesn't shut off but I tried one from a family member's camera and it still didn't work.

Ok well Im just throwing out an idea based on logic. There is an instananeous increase in demand for power to playback pictures and perhaps your battery is charged but lacks the ability to handle that increase and POOF! It shuts off. It would be the least expensive option to try next.

I just thought of something else, have you looked closely inside the SD card slot with a light for something obvious in there that might cause a problem like dirt or a damaged contact pin that mates with the card? If you do see something in there that shouldn't be there and it won't just come out, fall out or blow out be sure to use something non-metalic to pull it out. The contact pins insde should be nice and straight, smooth and clean.

SomeOtherGuy22
Contributor
I will try these things, thank you!
Announcements