cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Camera dropped; won't stay on longer than 30 secs

RKP
Apprentice

Hi all, my little sister loves taking photos and videos and so for her birthday this year I bought her a PowerShot SX210 IS Digital Camera, used off of Ebay. It seemed in fantastic condition so I didn't think that would be a problem. However, when I came back home after a couple of months, she told me that she had accidentally dropped the camera on a paved road and, although the camera will still turn on and take photos, it usually won't stay on for more than 30 seconds. She doesn't consider this to be a huge problem but I know that any issue can be fixed. Has anyone run into a similar issue in the past? Is there a certain part in the camera you think might have been damaged that I could find a replacement for?

Any and all advice is appreciated. Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

@RKP wrote:

She doesn't consider this to be a huge problem but I know that any issue can be fixed. Has anyone run into a similar issue in the past? Is there a certain part in the camera you think might have been damaged that I could find a replacement for?

Yes, any issue can be fixed, but there is also the concept of diminishing returns.  I do not know what you paid for the camera, but I have little doubt that you could buy several more for the cost to repair it.  

Unfortunately, this is just the nature of electronics.  The small compact digital cameras are “designed” to be disposable because their price point makes them cost ineffective to repair.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

@RKP wrote:

She doesn't consider this to be a huge problem but I know that any issue can be fixed. Has anyone run into a similar issue in the past? Is there a certain part in the camera you think might have been damaged that I could find a replacement for?

Yes, any issue can be fixed, but there is also the concept of diminishing returns.  I do not know what you paid for the camera, but I have little doubt that you could buy several more for the cost to repair it.  

Unfortunately, this is just the nature of electronics.  The small compact digital cameras are “designed” to be disposable because their price point makes them cost ineffective to repair.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Buy several more for the cost to repair it? Do you think I should just buy another?

Yep buy another one and just in time for Chrismas would make a nice present! 

Announcements