cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Camera & Printer stopped working with my computer

Nacoran
Apprentice

Hi.  I've got a PwerShot SD1100 IS digital Elf and a mx300 printer that I got as a package deal (yes, I know they are both pretty long in the tooth).

Over Christmas my computer crashed and I had to reinstall windows (windows 7 ultimate).  I have reinstalled my Canon drivers multiple times from the site but I can't get either my camera or my printer working with my computer.  The computer won't recognize the camera when I plug it in to upload pictures and the printer beeps and beeps and beeps until I disconect it from the computer.

Since they both started having problems after a specific computer event I don't think it's a hardware issue with either of them, but I'm at a loss.  Any thoughts?

3 REPLIES 3

Richard
Product Expert
Product Expert

Hi Nacoran,

Thanks for posting. I regret the delay in responding to your inquiry.

To find out why your camera isn't correctly recognized by your computer, I'll ask that you take a look in the Device Manager.

When we're looking, we're looking for the connection of your camera, meaning its appearance and location within the Device Manager. We're also looking for devices that can interfere with the connection of your camera. These are other imaging devices that include (but are not limited to) scanners, multifunction machines, web cams, etc.

Before checking the Device Manager, let's look at the connection for your camera.

• If your computer is a desktop unit, is the USB cord plugged into the back of the computer? (Recommended)
  • If it's a laptop, is your computer running on AC power? (Recommended)
  • We recommend against plugging your camera into a USB hub. Please ensure that you plug your camera directly into your computer's USB terminal.

With your camera connected as described above and powered on in the playback mode, let's take a look in the Device

Manager. An easy way to open the Device Manager is to click on the [Windows/ Start] Icon, then right-click on "Computer" and choose "Properties". In the Window that opens, look at the left-hand side and click on the "Device Manager" link.

Once in the Device Manger, please look for the Portable Devices folder. If your camera is in there, please right-click on the driver and uninstall the driver. Once this process is complete, please turn your camera off for a few seconds, then turn it back on (in the playback mode).

• Important: If you receive an error message or your camera is not in the Portable Devices folder, please make a note of the error message and of all devices listed in this folder.

If you're still unable to transfer images after removing and re-installing the driver, please make a note of the contents of the following folders (if they're present):

1. Imaging Devices
  2. Other Devices
  3. Unknown Devices

Finally (and importantly), with the camera connected to your computer and turned on in the playback mode, what do you see on its display?

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

Thanks.  That seems to have sorted out the camera.  I tried the same thing on the printer, but it's still not playing nice.  At first, whenever I went to print something (in OpenOffice or Wordpad) instead of going to print it opens up the save menu and offers to save my file as a *.xps.  The defaults got switched somehow.  After fixing that, now I just get an error.  It says, Cannon Inkjet MX300 Series- An error has occured when printing the following print job. Click cancel to stop printing.  Job: Document

Hi Nacoran,

It looks like you might be using the XPS drivers, which are only used with Microsoft Publisher.  Let's re-install the drivers one more time.

1. Click HERE.

2. Scroll down to "Recommended Drivers."

3. Click “Select” next to "MX300 series MP Driver."

4. Press "Download."

5. Open and run the file.

6. Follow the onscreen instructions to complete the installation.

This didn't answer your question or issue? Please call or email us at one of the methods on the Contact Us page for further assistance.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

Announcements