cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CANON SX170 refuses to take picture in Flash mode

chexin51
Apprentice

Yes the Flash is in an up position and the Flash symbol with an A beside it appears on the screen in Auto Mode. When I hold down the "take a picture button" a green square box appears in thye middle of the screen and the "Flash" symbol without the A blinks on and off but no picture is taken. I've tried another battery - Manual mode - changing flash settings but the problem remains. Also it often says change battery even though the battery is fully charged. All other functions of the camera work just fine and it takes good pictures without the flash and good movies. Is there something I've overlooked ? Is it worth repairing - I paid $143.00 about a year and a half ago for it.

2 REPLIES 2

John_
Authority

Hi, how old are both those batteries? If they are about the same age as the camera they probably have lost their capacity to hold a charge long enough to fire the flash. There is a huge request for power prior to firing the flash. That would also give you those "change battery" messages from time to time. If they are not new then try a new one if not it will need it to be serviced. New ones go for about $130 in many stores. Used are even a lot cheaper.

The blinking flash symbol also indicates the flash is still trying to charge up to fire..which points to your batteries.

Capture.JPG

It turned out to be a defective camera - to expensive to fix in comparison to buying a new one so I just bought a new one on sale. I put the suspect battery in the new camera and I was able to take a picture with flash so I know it's the old camera gone bad. So now I have a parts camera and 2 spare batteries, 2 chargers, a useable camera case and I didn't have to buy memory. Actually if anyone needs parts for their SX170 they can contact me at [MOD NOTE: Email removed per FORUM GUIDELINES]

Announcements