cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CANON G12: screen and lens trouble shooting please?

CamDr
Apprentice

Hi there!

I am hoping someone can help me out. 

I get this dark line on the lef side of my screen + on the actual photos. 

I also have an auto-focus problem now, when zooming closer to subjects it's unable to perform. 

The store says it could be a small hair caught in the lens and that Canon would charge me 200-250 euros to fix it. 

Is that what it is? 

Did someone ever get the same problem? 

How was it fixed? 

See an example : http://imgur.com/g0FeXMH

Screen Shot 2014-11-06 at 14.39.13.png

I love using that camera - many thanks for your help!!! 

4 REPLIES 4

smack53
Mentor

One question I would ask is are you sure the lens cover is opening all the way? I had a similar line on my PowerShot A series camera. The lens did not fully open on the one side due to some fine particles of dirt in the lens mechanism. I used some compressed air for electronics and cleaned that dirt out of the mechanism, which resolved the issue.

However, if you are having focus issues, it sounds like there could be something like a hair stuck in the barrel of the lens, but for it to show a line on the images, that could be near the filter that protects the image sensor or inside the lens. I would think the camera needs to be opened to inspect the sensor as well as the lens. If the hair is indeed inside the lens, between the glass elements, that would be an expensive repair as the lens would need to be aligned after it was cleaned. If it's at the sensor, it should be a less expensive repair. Are you using the macro mode when you are shooting the close ups? Maybe you're getting a little too close. I tried zooming in for close up shots, but needed to use closeup filters because I was getting too close. Plus, I have accidently left the macro mode on when I didn't need it, and of course the camera would not focus properly. Just asking.

Steve M.

@smack53 wrote:

One question I would ask is are you sure the lens cover is opening all the way? I had a similar line on my PowerShot A series camera. The lens did not fully open on the one side due to some fine particles of dirt in the lens mechanism. ...

Steve M.

The line is wavy. If the problem were due to a sticky lens cover (or, say, a sluggish shutter curtain), wouldn't the line be straight?

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

I was told this could be a problem of the lens not being aligned with the objective or something.. 

Is there a way I can open the camera myself and repair it? Is there a tutorial online somewhere that would show how to do this please? 

Many thanks for your help. 

Unless you have the calibration software, special tools, a calibration/collimation light box, calibration charts and a whole lot of training to recalibrate the lens system you are likely to make matters  worse. The lens system is very complex so unless you are willing to take the chance in turning your camera into a paperweight by trying to get lucky I would say no do not attempt it.

Announcements