cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Battery communication warning message - new G5X purchase

avigar
Apprentice

Anyone else get this message, along with a disabled battery meter, when a non-OEM battery is used? One thing I've noticed is that within the first 3 seconds of the power-up, the battery meter does show properly until the battery warning message comes up. Once you give the OK to proceed to use the battery anyway, the meter is then disabled after. However, the camera seems to work after that, just with the battery meter disabled. I've never had this issue with other Canon cameras I've purchased and used in the past. Is this new firmware programming that Canon will be using with their new model cameras from now on?

UPDATE: Well, it looks like the battery warning message is back in the new G5X M2 as well. I finally found decoded batteries that defeated the message in the original G5X model. However, the same decoded batteries got the warning in a new G5X M2 I purchased recently.

6 REPLIES 6

John_
Authority

I've never heard anyone post a question like that in here which does not mean others have not.

It certainly does sound like a message generated by the firmware and non oem battery and would not surprise me if that is a protection scheme against using batteries that are not made by Canon.

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

http://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthread.php?p=17829313

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

ha ha yes so as the OEMS try to force people to buy brand named products other 3rd party companies defeat them...wheres theres a will theres a way or a dollar to be made.

Interesting.   I just got my G5X last Friday.   When I was looking at where to buy, did notice, that at least one vendor was giving free assessories, that included an off brand battery.  Glad I didn't go that route.  

Powershot GX5, Pixma-100, Nikon D-300 and D-90

IMHO, there are lots of 'cheapo' packages out there where the addons are cheap junk that look good on screen. Often you don't know what you are really getting until if and when it arrives.

rondtroy
Contributor

Keeping in mind the possibility of non OEM batteries to melt down or blow up, maybe Canon doesn't want them in their cameras.  Also, battery metering may depend on certain characteristics that may not be correct in a 3rd party battery.

Announcements