cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Automatic Powershot Sync

dave1515
Apprentice

I am interested in buying a powershot for work, but im not sure if it has the features i want. 

I want to be able to go out to a jobsite and take photos. When i get back to the office i want the camera to automatically connect to wifi and back up the photos to my computer that is on the same wifi network. Maybe after the photos are back up, delete them from the camera memory card.

Is this possible?

What is the cheapest powershot camera i can get that will do this?

2 REPLIES 2

Mark35mmF2
Product Expert
Product Expert

Hi Dave1515,

This is a pretty specific feature, but I think what you are looking for would need to be one of the newer models with the Digic 8 processor since that is what allows a lot of the new WiFi and liveblogging type of features that may also allow what you are mentioning. I think it would be best to call the experts on the phone. The Powershot experts are available Monday Through Friday from 9am-7pm Eastern time at (800)652-2666.

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

@dave1515 wrote:

I am interested in buying a powershot for work, but im not sure if it has the features i want. 

I want to be able to go out to a jobsite and take photos. When i get back to the office i want the camera to automatically connect to wifi and back up the photos to my computer that is on the same wifi network. Maybe after the photos are back up, delete them from the camera memory card.

Is this possible?

What is the cheapest powershot camera i can get that will do this?

I agree that you should contact Canon regarding the specific features that you are looking for.  

Be aware that Wi-Fi in a camera does NOT mean that it is "networkable" like a laptop computer.  Most "point and shoot" cameras, like the Powershot Series, use Wi-Fi to connect to smart device like a tablet or phone that can produce a "Wi-Fi hotspot".

Canon does sell a networkable storage device, Connect Station CS100, which can connect to many Canon cameras via Wi-Fi.  It also has a standard 10BaseT wired LAN interface, which simply means you can connect a network cable to it, just as you would connect a network cable to a computer.

Finally, be aware that wireless transfer of photo files is not very fast.  It is faster to connect the camera to a computer with a USB cable, or to remove the memory card and use a memory card reader.  The CS100 has ports to read memory cards directly.  I'm not sure how the file transfer process works with the CS100 so ask Canon about it.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."
Announcements