cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Astrophotography with Canon Powershot SX540HS

TA-612
Apprentice

Hi everyone,

I am new to this community but also new to the world of photography.

Since a couple of month I have been in the posession of this cool camera: the Powershot SX 540 HS

It has been of great use to me but I havent pushed the camera yet to its absolute limits.

I am aware of its limitations and of terms such as ISO, shutter speed en aperature.

I would like to take some cool pictures with this camera of the stars (if Im being in the correct dark setting, then maybe even the Milky Way). I know this camera isnt made for that kind of purpose but I still believe it can give me a decent result to a certain level where it looks acceptable (maybe with some photoshop adjustment here and there).

My question is, what are ideal settings for this camera given the following information:

ISO - Can go up to 3200 max.

Aperature - F.3.4 to F 6.5

Shutter speed - 1/2000 to 15 sec.

Lens: 4.3 - 215mm

Again, I am aware of the fact that the limitations of this Point and Shoot camera are big when it comes to astrophotography. But I still believe you can capture something with it (besides the moon).

Also, I have noticed once the shutterspeed is set to a high number, I can't boost my ISO further dan 80 (maybe Im doing something wrong here?)

With kind regards,

T-A612

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Hi TA-612,

Great question!

I recommend shooting with the camera in the Program mode, then using those settings as a starting point. In some cases, you'll find that you really need to crank up one or more settings for a good result, but at least the camera will be metering for the light in your specific location.

Another consideration is the focusing mode.  I recommend using th Manual focus mode. In most cases, you won't have to adjust the focus all the way out, but you'll want to stop, just short of that. If the Moon is out, try using that for practice. For more on this, please click here.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

View solution in original post

I agree with Richard to use the P mode. In addition, I would use a tripod and a remote shutter switch. If your camera does not have a remote shutter switch input then use a 2-second delay. Your exposures will be long and pressing the shutter button might produce a little bit of camera shake ruining your shots. A remote shutter switch or a delay will prevent that shake.

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9

Richard
Product Expert
Product Expert

Hi TA-612,

Thank you for posting.

When using a shutter speed that's slower than 1 second, the ISO will automatically be set to 80 to prevent excessive "noise" (graininess) in your images.

When using your camera's with such slow shutter speeds, we strongly recommend the use of a tripod, and when using a tripod, please turn your camera's image stabilizer off. The motion of the image stabilizer can cause movement of the camera, causing the type of blurring you want to avoid.

To turn off your camera's image stabilizer, power the camera on, in the shooting mode, press the MENU button, then scroll down to IS Settings and press the FUNC SET button. On the next screen, with "IS Mode" highlighted, use the RIGHT or LEFT arrow buttons to choose OFF, then press the MENU button a couple of times.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

Thank you Richard!

Your post was helpful.

With regards to astrophotography, what settings are the best to use giving the limitations of this PowerShot camera? Or should I ask that question in a different rubric?

With kind regards,

TA-612

Hi TA-612,

Great question!

I recommend shooting with the camera in the Program mode, then using those settings as a starting point. In some cases, you'll find that you really need to crank up one or more settings for a good result, but at least the camera will be metering for the light in your specific location.

Another consideration is the focusing mode.  I recommend using th Manual focus mode. In most cases, you won't have to adjust the focus all the way out, but you'll want to stop, just short of that. If the Moon is out, try using that for practice. For more on this, please click here.

I agree with Richard to use the P mode. In addition, I would use a tripod and a remote shutter switch. If your camera does not have a remote shutter switch input then use a 2-second delay. Your exposures will be long and pressing the shutter button might produce a little bit of camera shake ruining your shots. A remote shutter switch or a delay will prevent that shake.

Very helpful reaction guys @John and Richard.

Thank you very much!

I will try and experiment with these settings.

YMK
Apprentice

Hello There!

I wanted to take cool pictures of galaxies, planets and its moon etc. I just wanted to know the best possible as well as convenient settings and modes for Canon Powershot SX 540HS

I also wanted to know the settings for time lapse photography and one more question

How can i take cool pictures of the night sky as the stars are not visible in the camera

I know that the camera can do better thn what i have written

PLEASE HELP ME OUT!
Thank you

You heard right, you cannot do time lapse with your camera and it does not have a remote shutter port to plug in an intervalometer either. I'm not sure if it can be done with the Canon Connect app though?

YMK
Apprentice

Can anyone tell me how to do time lapse photography in conon powershot sx 540 HS

@YMK wrote:

Can anyone tell me how to do time lapse photography in conon powershot sx 540 HS

That feature, time lapse photography, is not available in your camera.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."
Announcements