cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Any movement at all and G9X photos are blurry in AUTO

Canonoob
Apprentice

Was shooting kids opening presents indoors in AUTO mode and their hands/arms are blurry with just a small amount of movement. Disappointed as I thought AUTO is idiot proof lol. Do I need to be use a different setting? Help?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

ScottyP
Authority

Dim indoor light plus moving kids. A tough combo for the Auto setting.  Try the Sports or "Kids & Pets" setting if you want to try it on a pre-fab setting. Might or might not work. 

I would put put the camera in Tv mode.  Tv is (unintuitively) what Nikon and others call "S", because it means "Shutter Priority". Canon meant Tv to suggest "time variable".  You set the shutter speed (the time variable) needed to stop motion blur. For kids just opening packages I think 1/250th or 1/320th is enough speed.  Don't use TOO fast a shutter because that forces the camera to make up for the brief exposure time by hiking the ISO, and every hike in ISO adds ugly digital noise and it reduces the resolution and detail the sensor will capture.

i would also work towards shooting in RAW rather than in JPG.  This will require you to do post-processing to punch the dull RAW image up with saturation, contrast, etc., as well as to convert the RAW  into JPG at the end.  It is worth it, however, as you can correct a RAW image much more than you can fix a JPG image. You can remove a lot more noise in RAW, and you can fix everything else better too, including exposure and white balance. 

Watch a few free tutorial videos on Google on the "Exposure Triangle".  It explains very simply the key principle of photography, the three variables you manipulate to get a correct exposure: shutter speed, lens aperture and ISO sensitivity. You can also trade one against the others to get artistic results. 

Good luck. 

Scott

Canon 5d mk 4, Canon 6D, EF 70-200mm L f/2.8 IS mk2; EF 16-35 f/2.8 L mk. III; Sigma 35mm f/1.4 "Art" EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro; EF 85mm f/1.8; EF 1.4x extender mk. 3; EF 24-105 f/4 L; EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS; 3x Phottix Mitros+ speedlites

Why do so many people say "FER-tographer"? Do they take "fertographs"?

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

ScottyP
Authority

Dim indoor light plus moving kids. A tough combo for the Auto setting.  Try the Sports or "Kids & Pets" setting if you want to try it on a pre-fab setting. Might or might not work. 

I would put put the camera in Tv mode.  Tv is (unintuitively) what Nikon and others call "S", because it means "Shutter Priority". Canon meant Tv to suggest "time variable".  You set the shutter speed (the time variable) needed to stop motion blur. For kids just opening packages I think 1/250th or 1/320th is enough speed.  Don't use TOO fast a shutter because that forces the camera to make up for the brief exposure time by hiking the ISO, and every hike in ISO adds ugly digital noise and it reduces the resolution and detail the sensor will capture.

i would also work towards shooting in RAW rather than in JPG.  This will require you to do post-processing to punch the dull RAW image up with saturation, contrast, etc., as well as to convert the RAW  into JPG at the end.  It is worth it, however, as you can correct a RAW image much more than you can fix a JPG image. You can remove a lot more noise in RAW, and you can fix everything else better too, including exposure and white balance. 

Watch a few free tutorial videos on Google on the "Exposure Triangle".  It explains very simply the key principle of photography, the three variables you manipulate to get a correct exposure: shutter speed, lens aperture and ISO sensitivity. You can also trade one against the others to get artistic results. 

Good luck. 

Scott

Canon 5d mk 4, Canon 6D, EF 70-200mm L f/2.8 IS mk2; EF 16-35 f/2.8 L mk. III; Sigma 35mm f/1.4 "Art" EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro; EF 85mm f/1.8; EF 1.4x extender mk. 3; EF 24-105 f/4 L; EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS; 3x Phottix Mitros+ speedlites

Thank you!

@ScottyP wrote:

Good luck. 

Actually, it's "time value", not "time variable". (I just looked it up in my 5D3 manual for confirmation.) Not that it's any less unintuitive, of course.  Smiley Wink

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

Ha.  I was debating back and forth on the variable vs. value thing.  Neither one is as good as plain old "S" IMHO.  

Scott

Announcements