cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

A520 Can't transfer to PC

MizzTee
Apprentice

I have a real puzzle.  I cannot transfer pics to my PC.  I have not changed any software since it was working.

When I plug in the transfer cable (in either mode)  the buttons on the back of the camera go dead.  I cannot call up the menu to transfer pics to the pc and the PC does not recognize that the camera is plugged in.  I have gone thru several trouble shooting steps with no success.  I have:

1. Tried a different cable which works with my portable HD.
  2. Restarted the PC
  3. Restarted the camera
  4. Reset the camera to the default settings (with the cable unplugged - can't get to the menus with a cable inserted)
  5. Removed the button battery (fairly new) and put it back in (had to reset the date & time so I know it was out long enough to clear any settings.
  6. Opened Canon Zoom browser on the PC and tried to get it to find the camera.  Says no camera connected.

I don't think the problem is in the PC as the buttons (except for the mode slide) go dead when any mini-usb cable is connected - even if the other end is not connected to anything. 

The camera will take pictures and will let me review them on the screen.  I use a SD card - same one since I bought the camera; but I don't have a SD card reader, so I cant transfer the pics that way either...HELP!

5 REPLIES 5

newsense52
Rising Star

Need some clarifications: Is your PC having the transfer software and no upgrade in your computer? Turn on your  computer and go to file explorer, do not open anything.

Try to plug the mini usb cable to camera and to computer ( camera off first ) then turn on the camera and press the playback button and see  what happen?

Only option is  to look for computer with card reader and upload there and save to portable usb drive. 

If nothing happens then it is the end of life of the camera.

Buying a new PC: NOT the only option.  You can get an SD-card "converter drive."  I got 2 of them 5-plus years ago at Datavision for about $7.95 each.  They don't carry those any more, but newegg.com has a whole bunch of them!  Look carefully-- some are only micro-SD readers; you (and I) need SD readers.  These plug into your PC with just a USB connexion.  https://www.newegg.com/Card-Readers/SubCategory/ID-69/Page-2?PageSize=36&order=BESTMATCH

msmith1141
Apprentice

Did you get a solution to this. I'm also having problems.

If the camera is wifi capable, then USB function is disabled.

Only way is plug the camera card to the card reader of the computer.

Resolution; but not solution to use this camera.  I tried everything suggested; but  the camera transfer capability is caput(dead).    I did take the mini SD card with my pictures out and put it in a new camera and was able to transfer them from the new camera to my PC. 

Announcements