cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

A1400 modes

Mcgiiver
Apprentice

Trying to figure out the real differences between the Auto, P, and Live modes on the Canon Powershot A1400. The manula does not really provide adequate distinctions. Please chime in if you know the differences.

9 REPLIES 9

Richard
Product Expert
Product Expert

Hi Mcgiiver,

Briefly:

Smart AUTO: The camera automatically selects the best shooting settings for optimal quality based on subjects and environmental factors to provide point-and-shoot simplicity.

Live View Control Enables Brightness, Color, and Tone adjustments to your images using easy-to-understand controls.

Program mode:  the camera automatically and intelligently selects the aperture/shutter speed combination based on the shooting conditions.  The program mode allows you to control certain aspects of the imaging such as white balance and ISO (sensitivity to light) among others.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

So P mode is is the same as AUTO, with the limited ability to set a few parameters? Does SmartAUTO work while in P mode? Anyone else notice that battery life is abysmal with this camera?

Mcgiiver,

You are correct, P mode is similar to Auto, but allows some settings to be changed.  Smart Auto will not function in the P mode. 

1. What sort of battery life issues are you experiencing?
  2. How often do you need to replace the batteries?
  3. What batteries are you using?

If this is a time sensitive-matter, additional support options are available at Contact Us.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

I used the alkaline batteries that came with the camera and got about 15 pictures before they died, Granted some of their use was scrolling through menus while familarizing myself with the new camera. I tried other alkaline batteries which measuredood voltage but used, they did not last long. New alkaline batteries, did work but not too long. Fully charged Nimh batteries would not even boot the camera up. I am not happy if I have to use expensive lithium batteries. It appears that the combined voltage of the two AA batteries must be above 3.15 volts to work. On the serial number label on the camera it says 3.15v. not sure what that means. Its pretty hard to keep a set of batteries at more than 3 volts for very long. It looks like the design of the camera is such that it is sensitive to a voltage setting which is too high. Even though the manual sasy you can use NiMH batteries, at 1.2 volts each, I have serious doubts they would ever work. This is the second camera, I returned the first one thinking it was defective.

The NiMH batteries are a good alternative. They outlast the standard alkaline batteries by leaps and bounds. Make sure you get the NiMH batteries with at least a 2000mAh rating, 2500mAh would be better still. I went from about 30 photos per set of batteries to over 350 photos per charge.

Smack53

But how does one get to P mode in A1400. I'm not certain how ot do this. Manual just says to go to P mode without being specific. It's very confusing. I liked the old Canon system with selection wheel on top of camera.

To get to P mode on the A1400, press the Auto (up) button (above the Func. Set button), then scroll down (or up) to P. I agree with you that the wheel was a much nicer option, but to get the cameras to be smaller, and more user friendly, several options were removed. Most people who use these cameras really don't care about anything more than just point and shoot, which is too bad, since the A1400 camera is so much more capable than right out of the box Auto mode.

I had switched to the Canon SX150 IS and that has all the goodies the older A series cameras used to have, plus a longer zoom. The newest one is the SX170 IS which uses the lithium battery pack instead of AA batteries. These are really nice cameras that you can learn about more advanced photography with, and are not a lot of money as compared to learning with a DSLR. Of course the image quality is not the same as the DSLR, but for the money, you get a lot of camera.

Steve M.

Thanks for reponding. I found the P mode while playing with the different settings on the A1400. I also have a Canon A1200, which I prefer because it has the "Mode" setting knob on top. It was probably removed from the A1400 for "cost saving" reasons. At any rate, I also prefer these cameras because they use AA batteries which can be purchased just about anywhere I go.  They also have an optical view finder.

Glad you found the P mode.

Very true about the optical viewfinder. That is becoming harder to find on the A series. When I go out to intentionally photograph nature scenes and such, I use my PowerShot G12 or my DSLR which both have optical viewfinders. My SX150 IS is just for when I'm walking the dog or to keep in the car for an unexpected shoot.

Steve M.

Announcements