cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PowerShot G15 missing serial number

DaveC426913
Contributor

My G15 has a scratched lens (again), so I will have it repaired.

But I see no serial number where there should be one. It's just blank.

I did buy it, used, from Henry's (first name name in photography here), and I have already had it repaired once.

Is it possible they removed the S/N for some reason?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

TTMartin
Authority
Authority

@DaveC426913 wrote:

I did buy it, used, from Henry's (first name name in photography here), and I have already had it repaired once.

Your cameras serial number is contained in the EXIF information of every photo it takes. 

Just look at the photos properties.  

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Can't speculate why your particular camera doesn't have it's serial number.  Typically no S/N means grey market.  Maybe is was stolen?  You bought it used..  no telling where it came from or how the store acquired it.  I can't think of a reason why anyone would remove it intentionally unless it was "hot" or grey market and never had one on the first place.  Its not something that comes off when a repair is performed.   

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

MikeSowsun
Authority
Authority

Is the entire serial number plate missing? Or is just the serial number blank? Can you show us a photo?

G15b.jpg 

Mike Sowsun

"Is the entire serial number plate missing? Or is just the serial number blank? Can you show us a photo?"

Plate is it here. Utterly clean. If it was ever there, it did not simply rub off.

No matter though. I realize it is just a warranty issue. I bought it used anyway (from a reputable pro camera store), and have already had the lens replaced once.

I'm going to get it repalced agin, but this time I'm going to 3D print a protective lens cap.

wq9nsc
Authority
Authority

I believe Canon wil set up a repair even without a serial number since this isn't a warranty repair.  

It is likely that the product started out life as a parallel imported product which would have been an issue if it were still in warranty.  At one point the price differential between authorized distribution and parallel importation (i.e. gray market) was much higher than typical today and it was very tempting for many to take the chance.

If it is gray market it is still a legitimate Canon product and not a counterfeit.  Gray market occuipies the the gray area beween the black market (counterfeits, illegal goods, etc.) and what is rarely called the white market (goods designed for that specific country market that are sold through the authorized distribution network).  Personally I wouldn't take a chance on buying new gray market camera gear but it is readily available for those who want to play warranty roulette.

EOS 1DX M3, 1DX M2, 1DX, 5DS R, M6 Mark II, 1D M2, EOS 650 (film), many lenses, XF400 video

TTMartin
Authority
Authority

@DaveC426913 wrote:

Your cameras serial number is contained in the EXIF information of every photo it takes. 

Just look at the photos properties.  

It's not on my picturesNo serial numberNo serial number

Not all software can read it. Try EXIFTool.

Look at the image properties in Canon Digital Photo Professional (DPP), not, Windows. In DPP it will be under the Menu option 'View' then 'Info Ctrl+L' it will show up in the list as 'Camera Body Number'. 

Announcements