cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

how to use the viewfinder? can't turn off the screen

cmorr
Apprentice

i bought the powershot a1400 for the viewfinder but can't turn off the screen to use the viewfinder.

manual says to use down button to turn off the screen, - didn't work.

contacted Canon, they said to hold down the "disp" button until screen disappears, that didn't work.

what do i do?

7 REPLIES 7

smack53
Mentor

I'm wondering how many times you pressed the down arrow. You may need to press it several times to cycle through the options until the screen turns off. Also, if you are using the video mode of the camera, the screen will automatically turn on, and cannot be shut off.

Steve M.

Hi, thank you. the Canon rep. told me to hold the Disp. button down until the screen went blank - which I did and nothing happened. I am going to call canon this morning about it.
I just got the camera and am getting acquainted with it - how do I turn off the video?

John_
Authority

Seems to me the Display button and the Down button are the same thing...you press the button as mentioned and it should cycle through...if it doesn't call Canon back and initiate a service request or return it to where you bought it if possible.

There are no tricks to it other than the screen automatically turns off in Movie mode...does that work ?

Hi, yes, they are the same but it didn't work. I am going to call Canon this morning about it.

Yes I think holding he down button is the fast way to turn the displayoff rather than pressing the button and stepping through the choices.

In any event I think you are wise to get the ball rolling with a service request with Canon...I hope it turns out ok for you that is a nice camera

Hi John, thank you so much. I did get in touch with a Canon rep. and he walked me through it. thank you again.

excellent ! your very welcome

Announcements