cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Which Canon Powershot cameras record videos in MP4 format?

abes_edi
Apprentice

Hello Friends,

I have bought a while ago a Canon Powershot SX 260 HS. I am happy with it but it has a weak point: its videos are in MOV format and they take a LOT of space (in GigaBytes).

I tried to see if I can convert the MOV format into MP4, while shooting videos, but the only alternative is IFrame format.

So I am thinking of selling it for another Canon Powershot that record videos in MP4 format.

Do you know of any list of such Canon Powershot cameras with MP4 format?

Do you have alternatively any solution such as softwares that convert videos fast into MP4? Movie Maker is SOOOOO slow!

Thank you very much for your feedback.

5 REPLIES 5

Nick2020
Product Expert
Product Expert

Hi abes_edi,

Thanks for checking in with us!

Some of our PowerShot cameras that can shoot .mp4 video clips include the

PowerShot G7 X Mark III, PowerShot SX740 HS, and PowerShot SX70 HS.

Most current video-editing programs should be able to convert videos from .mov to .mp4 files. Premiere and Final Cut Pro (if you're on a Mac) are a couple of popular options to consider. There are also free versions of various editing programs like Lightworks, Avid's Media Composer First, and Blackmagic Design's DaVinci Resolve.

Thank you, Nick2020, for your prompt reply. 🙂

Hello Nick2020,

I have had a look at your recommendations....they are very good ones but they are pricey.

Do you have any more affordable Canon PowerShot models (no matter how old) in mind that fit the bill?

Thank you again! 🙂

rs-eos
Elite
Elite

As an aside, what video resolutions are you wanting to capture? What quality do you need?

Note that for video, a tremendous amount of compromise may occur (fewer colors, higher compression) when small file sizes are desired.   e.g. 1920 x 1080 HD may be recorded to 24 Mbps.  That's 10.5 GB per hour of footage.  Of course you'd want to back up your footage just like any other important data, so double that size for total storage.  Even higher amount of total storage per hour if your video editor will transcode that.

To save on space, you could look at codecs with less bitrates, or cut the resolution to 1280 x 720.   But of course, quality will be decreased.

--
Ricky

Camera: EOS 5D IV, EF 50mm f/1.2L, EF 135mm f/2L
Lighting: Profoto Lights & Modifiers

falconfirsit
Contributor

I save in mp4 usually. I don't see any difference in quality as well. But it doesn't really matter, because you can change the format at any time. I use Movavi Video Converter or any other converter you want; open it; open the video and choose a format you need; save the video you get. Easy peasy lemon squeezy.)

Announcements