cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SX70 HS manual says Lens Cap won't work w/protector lens, but...

richapple
Contributor

Before I buy the Canon lens adapter ring (FA-DC67A) and Canon 67mm Protective Filter, I want to confirm that even though the SX70 manual says you cannot use a lens cap with these attached to the camera, the Canon 67 mm lens cap (Canon E-67 II 67mm Lens Cap) should attach to the 67mm Protective Filter, right?

thx for any feedback...

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Tronhard
Elite
Elite

As far as I know, as far as the lens is concerned, the SX-70 is identical to the SX-60 (which I owned).  I always put a protective filter on my cameras, so I got an adapter and had no issue putting a filter on my camera, and also a conventional lens cap.  I did not put on a massive 67mm filter, I got a metal 58mm filter adapter from eBay and it worked perfectly.  With a UV filter attached there was no vignetting as long as I got a slim-line style.  The smaller adapter size is much less bulky and the filters are cheaper.  If you go to the site and do a search for '58mm Metal Lens Filter Adapter Ring for Canon Powershot SX70 HS SX60 HS SX540 HS' you will find what you want.

cheers, TREVOR

"The Amount of Misery expands to fill the space available"
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

Tronhard
Elite
Elite

As far as I know, as far as the lens is concerned, the SX-70 is identical to the SX-60 (which I owned).  I always put a protective filter on my cameras, so I got an adapter and had no issue putting a filter on my camera, and also a conventional lens cap.  I did not put on a massive 67mm filter, I got a metal 58mm filter adapter from eBay and it worked perfectly.  With a UV filter attached there was no vignetting as long as I got a slim-line style.  The smaller adapter size is much less bulky and the filters are cheaper.  If you go to the site and do a search for '58mm Metal Lens Filter Adapter Ring for Canon Powershot SX70 HS SX60 HS SX540 HS' you will find what you want.

cheers, TREVOR

"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

Hi Trevor, I have just put a 58mm lens adapter on my sx70hs, with uv filter as a lens protector, however the original lens cap no longer fits. Appreciate it if you were able to tell me what cap will fit this and where I might get one. Thank you.

Hi!
If you have a 58mm filter adapter on your camera, then a standard 58mm lens cap will fit it.  You can get these on most places - stores, eBay, Amazon etc.

cheers, TREVOR

Hi Trevor, thanks for the very prompt answer. Don't I feel like a dill, I just tried the lens cap from my EOS700D, and yes it fits nicely. D'oh. Once again, thank you.

No worries!  Glad it worked out.

cheers, TREVOR

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

The manual say the "included" lens cap cannot be used. I am guessing the included lens cap is not 67mm.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

Yup, John, it does say "included lens cap" in the pdf of the user guide. I thought I saw it somewhere implying any lens cap -  maybe at some online help stuff at Canon. But yeah, the included lens cap won't go onto a 67mm anything, or the 58mm adapter and protector filter I'm going with... Thx!

Announcements