cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SX60hs - ISO settings / Rate of change - what does it do?

nhrdls12
Contributor

While checking the ISO settings, I came across the menu entry called Rate of change. What does rate of change do? I could not find any explanation in the manaul

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

diverhank
Authority

@nhrdls12 wrote:

While checking the ISO settings, I came across the menu entry called Rate of change. What does rate of change do? I could not find any explanation in the manaul

You can set it to Slow, Standard and Fast.  This dictates how the camera will set your ISO -or rather your shutter speed- in Av and P modes.  In SLOW setting, the camera will keep the ISO lower, sacrificing the shutter speed -- slower (than Standard) and susceptible to motion shake.  In FAST, the camera will set the ISO high (closer to the Max ISO setting) so that shutter speed will be faster (than standard).

So if you use a tripod or light is aplenty, set Rate of Change to Slow.  On the reverse, set to FAST for action shots (where you need higher shutter speed).  For everything else, set to STANDARD.

================================================
Diverhank's photos on Flickr

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

Are you translating, or is that what it says in English? Like you, I am confused by that. The only ISO setting (besides ISO!) is a setting to limit the max ISO excursion during auto ISO.

Not translating, that's what it really says. Here is the manual. Please check page 74 of the manual. It even shows the screenshot.

diverhank
Authority

@nhrdls12 wrote:

You can set it to Slow, Standard and Fast.  This dictates how the camera will set your ISO -or rather your shutter speed- in Av and P modes.  In SLOW setting, the camera will keep the ISO lower, sacrificing the shutter speed -- slower (than Standard) and susceptible to motion shake.  In FAST, the camera will set the ISO high (closer to the Max ISO setting) so that shutter speed will be faster (than standard).

So if you use a tripod or light is aplenty, set Rate of Change to Slow.  On the reverse, set to FAST for action shots (where you need higher shutter speed).  For everything else, set to STANDARD.

================================================
Diverhank's photos on Flickr
National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements