cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SX280 - battery life shooting video

factoryguy
Apprentice

UPDATED May 5:

I apologize to the forum for mixing two different problems.  They are unrelated.

Problem #1:  User error.  I thought I was using a class 6 SD card but I was wrong. The yellow "!" indicates a pathologically slow card.  Upgrading to a class 10 resolved this problem.

Problem #2: UNRESOLVED.  Red battery indicator comes on prematurely.  On a fresh charge, it'll turn red after recording for a couple of minutes.  On a partially drained battery, it turns red immediately upon entering movie mode or pressing the record button.  Turn the camera off and then right back on in "still" mode and it shows full charge and works fine ... until trying to shoot video.  I have not precisely measured recording times but it'll record for at least 20 (maybe 30?) minutes while flashing red.

1,334 REPLIES 1,334

This battery taping thing is seriously dangerous. Shorting out a lithium battery can cause a fire - or explosion like the proponent of this ill-advised method admits in the previously posting. All the tape does is disable the connector that tells your camera how charged your battery is. It does not cure a thing - it just hides the symptom.

Union i know that this is the temperature connection. Is that the reason that i remove tape wen charging....

Works fine for me !!!!! thank you so much !!!!!!

You're not doing the taped battery, are you. That's not s good idea.

works here!!!!!!! TY!!!!!!!!!!! now i can do videos with 16min or 3.99gb (fat32 size limit) 3 times with 1 full charge

Taping the battery or the fluffy velcro in the battery cover? Which are you using?

the tape works, however if the battery runs out, the video is not recorded .... now with anything to give pressure on the battery, it worked as well, and is much better

now my question is: if it is this easy (which it appears it is just not a good battery connection) how did Canon miss this simple fix? You would think with all their techncal expertise they would find this flaw do a fix and make us all happy.

VeryUnhappy
Apprentice

So Canon, you sell me a brand new camera which you know has a defect, then you offer to replace it with a used repaired camera, and you think that's fair? This is why I won't buy another Canon product and I will warn others against doing so.

Canon apparently thinks it's fair. I too have crossed Canon off my list. I sent my camera in to be "fixed" some time ago and it came back with the same problem. Don't think they even took it out of the box. I use the tape method over the battery terminal. It works but inconvenient.

Announcements