cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SX260HS sometimes has very dark screen, picture dark if taken, why unreliable? what do I do?

lyn
Apprentice

My PowerShot SX260HS recently started having a very dark screen and if a picture is taken when this happens, the picture is very dark.  It has been sporadic for the past two days of use and doesn't seem to be tied to turning it on and off or changing settings.  I'm leaving for a trip of a lifetime in 11 days and must have a reliable camera!  Please help asap!  Thank you!

45 REPLIES 45

Can I check whether the "black screen problem" that people are reporting is the same as I'm having: I see a faint image of the highlights of the image (either live viewfinder or played back image that's already been photographed), with a lot of banding - some strips of hte image are brighter than others. Could it be a backlight problem? The camera still takes perfectly good photos; it's only the screen that has failed.

https://s17.postimg.org/w1jb3lzwv/IMG_0178.jpg is a photo of the screen (taken using my older Canon G9) which shows that the menu text (eg the no-flash symbol and the ISO) is only partially displayed.

It seems to be intermittent: for several days it was permanent but then after I'd taken the above picture the display is working again - but can I trust it?

https://s18.postimg.org/fvji3l5jt/IMG_0002.jpg is a photo of the camera in the same position when the screen *is* working - for comparison.

My wife has the same model of camera and it too has developed the same fault, athough on her camera, pressing the case seems to fix it for a while.

Have Canon acknowledged that there is a pattern to these faults and that it is not just a one-off very rare fault? What is the legal position with a camera that is out of warranty but which displays a fault that many other people have reported and which is therefore likely to be a design fault rather than just due to wear and tear?

Not sure if there is a legal position at all. But I wrote a couple of emails until Canon fixed my camera at no charge (shipping included). The issue that I was experiencing in no way could have been from wear and tear as it was fairly new and I take exceptionally good care of high priced items. In my opinion, it is a fault. Since Canon took care of it, it seems to me that they are admitting, through action, that there is a problem.

I had pretty much the same problem, except my screen would go completely dark. It took pictures fine, but whatever settings were in effect before the screen would go black would be the ones I was stuck with. I watched YouTube videos to disassemble and clean the ends of the ribbon cables to the screen, as some said that would fix it. It didn't. Since it was intermittent, I just lived with it as I used this camera to fill in the medium range as I have a DSLR with a 300mm lens. It finally wouldn't even turn on, so I went to ebay to see what I could find. I came across a repair shop in Georgia, I believe, who, for a fixed $75, would repair it. His name is Gerald If you would like to contact him, his email address is <Removed Per Forum Guidelines> and his phone number is <Removed Per Forum Guidelines>. I just searched ebay for him and couldn't fine a listing for him, but you can contact him. I had him repair mine in August 2016 and it's still working fine as of November 2016. Hope this can help someone else. ~Paul

I tried that too LCD setting was fine! Thanks for the tip!

Mine is doing the same thing and the quality of the picture before the screen went black wasn't as good and the shutter button was acting up a bit , I just noticed the camera seemed to be operating differently before the black screen issue came up!

If the camera is still under the 1 year warranty, contact Canon for repairs: http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/online_repair_tracking/consumer/digital_cameras/other_powershot/powers...

If not, they want about $160 plus ship-to-Canon cost for repairs 😞 The new model is $199 on sale. A local camera shop may have cheaper repair costs...

Some credit card companies (Discover / AmEx, etc) have extended warranty benefits. May want to check...

I am having the same issue as many of you have described. I have had my camera for about a year and a half. I researched and shopped around prior to purchasing this camera as I have an around the world trip starting at the end of September and really wanted a good quality camera. That is what I thought I was purchasing. 

After completing a repair request, I was given an estimate of $150 (this is before they have even looked at the camera). That seems quite ridiculous to me especially considering there are a number of people on this Canon Forum that are experiencing the same issue. Looks like a product defect since I have treated this camera very delicately.

I am ticked off.

I am super annoyed that I recommended Canon to my brother as a good quality camera. I feel like a liar now. 

It's too bad that Canon does not stand by their product.

I am going to Consumer Reports with this issue.

Thanks

Theresa

tazener
Apprentice

I've had the same problem - the camera functions fine for a while and then all I get is half black and orange colors on screen for days on end. Nearly ruined my holiday as I couldn't take photos but managed to borrow another camera. Occassionally clicking on different areas of th eon-off swtich temporarily corrects it. Wish I could find the solution as I don't have money to pay for repairs or buy another camera. It does take fantastic photos though

emilycharlie and tazener,

It sounds as though your camera will need to be repaired.  To start the repair process, you'll need to complete a Repair Request on our website.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

Is this a common problem /known issue? I'm having a similar problem where the screen is dark and The image of what Im photoing is dark. Also the icons for flash/ portrait, etc are gradated orange to black.

The estimated repair is $147.49! Is that accurate? The extended warranty company needs estimate so they can decide if repair is worthwhile...
Announcements