cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SX260HS sometimes has very dark screen, picture dark if taken, why unreliable? what do I do?

lyn
Apprentice

My PowerShot SX260HS recently started having a very dark screen and if a picture is taken when this happens, the picture is very dark.  It has been sporadic for the past two days of use and doesn't seem to be tied to turning it on and off or changing settings.  I'm leaving for a trip of a lifetime in 11 days and must have a reliable camera!  Please help asap!  Thank you!

45 REPLIES 45

I am having exactly this same problem. Screen goes dark unpredictably, can just barely see gradated orange menu items and only the very brightest items in the field of view. Pictures taken when like this turn out fine, I just can't see what I'm doing very well. Switching to the picture viewing mode doesn't change it, nor does fiddling with settings. Pushing on the screen a bit with my thumb and wiggling it often corrects the problem. So feels like a loose connection in the screen.

Canon folks, it sounds like this is a very common problem with this model of camera. Mine is over a year old so probably out of warranty (though I haven't checked for sure). What do you recommend all of us do about this problem. I love the camera by the way and it's breaking my heart that I'm not able to use it reliably!

Thanks!

There are 6 people in this thread alone that are experiencing the same problem. New ones can be bought for $199, used and working from like BH Photo for $130 sort of makes the cost of repair seem impratical for these unless Canon recognizes an issue that  includes others who have not come to this forum first and went directly to support and lowers the repair cost for Canon customers. They probably have sold thousands and thousands of these throughout the world and only they have the complete history of problems. Canon is a good company known for good support and taking care of its customers fairly.

I think Canon needs to check into this the cost of repair you could get a new camera!

My Discover card's extended warranty protection paid the Canon estimated repair cost...

I took my in and it is has a problem with the connectors can't remember what he called it but it will cost 179.00 to fix I think the camera was about 300.00 has to be an issue with all the cameras I need to call Canon!

I am having the same issue as many of you have described. I have had my camera for about a year and a half. I researched and shopped around prior to purchasing this camera as I have an around the world trip starting at the end of September and really wanted a good quality camera. That is what I thought I was purchasing. 

After completing a repair request, I was given an estimate of $150 (this is before they have even looked at the camera). That seems quite ridiculous to me especially considering there are a number of people on this Canon Forum that are experiencing the same issue. Looks like a product defect since I have treated this camera very delicately.

I am ticked off.

I am super annoyed that I recommended Canon to my brother as a good quality camera. I feel like a liar now. 

It's too bad that Canon does not stand by their product.

I am going to Consumer Reports with this issue.

Thanks

Theresa

And, apparantly, this camera has been discontinued, at least at Best Buy. 

Canon upgraded some chips and replaced with sx270 and sx280...

I found this forum through a Google search on Canon camera problems.  I have loved every Canon I have owned, which is why I keep buying them.  The quality of picture you can take (with just a compact) is amazing, and the versatility is great.  However, my SX210IS had the same problem you described.  At first it happened sporadically, then it gradually got worse.  The pictures were not just dark on the LCD viewing screen, they remained dark when transferred to the computer.  My camera was just past the extended warranty I had purchased, and repairs were going to cost $90-$130 (or more).  Since the camera was over 3 years old and the average lifespan of a digital camera is 4 years, I didn't think it was worth investing that much into an "old" camera.  The previous posts seemed to indicate this problem may have been fixed in the newer models.  However, I purchased the SX280HS less than 6 months ago, and it has started to "act up" on occassion.  This concerns me, but as it is still under warranty, I will be going back to the store...

No wonder. I'm so ticked. 

Announcements