cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Powershot SX740 HS poor audio on video

uksteve
Apprentice

Hi,

Just got a SX740 HS and on first use it seems there is a  big issue with unwanted noise on the audio of recorded videos.

Sounds like a very loud background hiss, like you'd filmed next to a waterfall or on an aircraft.

Have tried with and without Wind Filter and Attenuator both Off and on Auto. Seems to make no difference.

Anyone else had this issue, or do I have a faulty camera?

We wanted to use the camera for vlogging, but the audio quality is completely unacceptable.

2 REPLIES 2

donnac36
Contributor

I've had the same issue since I got the camera. I have a Powershot SX530 HS. When viewing a video, you can actually hear the lens moving. You hear a mechanical noise in the video. I called customer service about it. They said they would call me back. No one ever called. I posted in forums about it and got a bunch of replies that didn't help. I think there is no way to fix this.

rs-eos
Elite
Elite

Since this isn’t dedicated video equipment, what’s there for video will definitely have compromises. Internal mics are often very poor. You could try an external microphone if this camera has a 3.5mm input jack. However, the built in amplifier wouldn’t be stellar, so that could be also attributing to the noise issue. 

With an external mic, especially when placed further away from the lens, you shouldn’t get much noise from the lens.

--
Ricky

Camera: EOS 5D IV, EF 50mm f/1.2L, EF 135mm f/2L
Lighting: Profoto Lights & Modifiers
Announcements