cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PowerShot SX70 HS Photos at 72 dpi

SHLiung
Contributor

I selected the highest quality for photographing, which is, 5184 x 3888 px

Why are all the photos taken in only 72 dpi?

72 dpi is a poor quality.

Is this because my Canon PowerShot SX70 HS is defective?

My old Canon Powershot SX10 HS photos are in 180 dpi

My other old Canon Powershot SX40 HS photos are also in 180 dpi

So how can the greatly improved Canon Powershot SX70 HS photos be in only 72 dpi?

Please let me know whether my Canon Powershot SX70 HS camera's 72 dpi is a defect and if it needs repairing. I purchased it less than a week ago.

22 REPLIES 22

I take hundreds of photos. It would be a hassle and too time-consuming to change the dpi for printing or when developing photos. If the photographs' original resolution were in 180 dpi or higher, I would not need to waste time changing its dpi.

Upsampling a photo may not improve the quality of the image or make it look sharper.

Here are the dpi properties of photos from a Canon EOS 5D Mark IV and an iPhone 14 Pro Max which I received from someone. I do not know if he changed the original dpi.

Canon EOS 5D Mark IV.jpgiPhone 14 Pro Max.jpg

We tried.  Your insistence of not accepting the facts does not invalidate said facts.

--
Ricky

Camera: EOS 5D IV, EF 50mm f/1.2L, EF 135mm f/2L
Lighting: Profoto Lights & Modifiers

What you have been explaining is surprising. It takes time to let all that information sink in.

I am not sure what you want us to do. Your camera is fine. If you want to ask Canon to always use 180 dpi for future cameras, use the "+" on the Canon USA page to send feedback.

Canon products are made in Japan. Would it be better to send the feedback to Canon's HQ?

Anonymous
Not applicable

XS70 HS properties.jpg

Assuming that you don't edit or crop the photo (straight out of the camera).

In your file above, the print size would be 72" by 54" at 72 DPI if printed full size. If you print it at 4" by 3" the DPI would automatically become 1296 DPI by 1296 DPI by your printing software. If you print it at 8" by 6" the DPI would be 648 by 648 DPI. So, the smaller the print size, the larger the DPI becomes. What the camera is reporting is if you print the image at its full size, which I doubt you would do. 

In summation, you don't have to do any extra steps to change the DPI. Your printing software will calculate the DPI based on what print size that you chose to print at (your paper size in other words).

If you edit your photo file and resize it to your paper size, and then save the edited file, it will show the new, higher DPI in the saved file.

See this article on Dots per Inch:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dots_per_inch 

Seeking for further clarification: If I want to develop a photograph (from 6 x 4 till 16 x 12 size) or if I wish to use the 5184 x 3888 (72 dpi) image for book publication, do I need to use a software to change the dpi to 300 dpi before printing or can I just leave it as 72 dpi?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Just leave it a 72 DPI. When the publisher sizes the photo for printing, the DPI will be changed based on the size that is chosen for the book. 

Thank you

And my guitar amp goes to 11.

It really amounts to the same thing. Your software might *display* it at lower quality, but the number of pixels is what counts.

Announcements