cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PowerShot SX230 HS Unable to transfer photos to computer via USB

BALR1415
Apprentice

I was given a Powershot SX230 HD of unknown age. After sample pictures I can only transfer them to my computer by transferring the SD card to my computer. I have connected a USB cable to the SX230 and my computer and turned the camera on but nothing happens. I did download some EOS software but that looks way too advanced for my old SX230. Is there any way I can just transfer images via cable?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

normadel
Authority
Authority

You do not need any software. If connecting the (13-year-old) camera to your computer with a USB cable does not cause the camera to mount as a drive in Window File Explorer, or on the desktop of a Mac or Linux, the possibilities are: the camera's USB port is bad, the USB cable is bad, or the computer's USB port is bad. Or a combination of these.

Do you have another USB A-to-Mini B cable to try? Is there another USB port on your computer? Is there another computer you can try?

If none of these work, you have to continue what you are doing. Camera ports can go bad.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

normadel
Authority
Authority

You do not need any software. If connecting the (13-year-old) camera to your computer with a USB cable does not cause the camera to mount as a drive in Window File Explorer, or on the desktop of a Mac or Linux, the possibilities are: the camera's USB port is bad, the USB cable is bad, or the computer's USB port is bad. Or a combination of these.

Do you have another USB A-to-Mini B cable to try? Is there another USB port on your computer? Is there another computer you can try?

If none of these work, you have to continue what you are doing. Camera ports can go bad.

BALR1415
Apprentice

Thank you!  I tried a shorter cable that I knew was good and it worked. It did seem to take a while for the mount so I might not have given it enought time previously. Terrific camera. 

Glad to be of help!

Announcements