cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PowerShot SX20 IS - What setting for the best resolution of my photos for printing?

M3l1ndaT3ns
Apprentice

I want to photograph a lot of my customer's art. What should I set the image size to to get the best prints?  It's an SX20IS.

Melinda's
Distinctive Custom Picture Framing
4 REPLIES 4

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

The best resolution to use for capturing photos should almost always be the highest resolution of your image capture device, which in your case means a camera.  

I recommend that you shoot RAW for the best results.  However, consumer cameras are terrible when it comes to “scanning” or “digitizing” a printed image.  They simply lack the resolution.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

What is RAW?

Melinda's

Tronhard
Elite
Elite

I recommend you check out the article at THIS LINK.  Of particular note is the section: What is a RAW file?  The challenge is that printing is not just a matter of shooting an image and sending it off to a printer.  Creating a decent print requires some work on a computer afterwards: Post Processing and this is a somewhat different skill from that of taking the image in the first place.

Much depends on what size prints you are hoping to create - do you have some idea of what that would be?  Is there a particular purpose for printing: family photos, photos for some kind of show, to compete, etc?  

cheers, TREVOR

"The Amount of Misery expands to fill the space available"
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

Thank you so very much. What an excellent, well written article. So very easy to understand!

Melinda's
Announcements