cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I need to replace my wife's aged S30 with something equivalent in both size & capabilities.

billgr0248
Apprentice

Hello...we have owned our S30 for over 10 years & it has proved to be a great camera for almost everything but somebody got sand in the mechinism & I suspect it's also been dropped by a couple of grandkids.  I am looking for something with similar capabilities & size for Christmas....any thoughts or recomendations.

Thanks in advance,
Billgr0248

2 REPLIES 2

LJG
Contributor

I have very little knowledge of the S30 other than it is a point and shoot. For my point and shoot camera I have an S100. The resons behind buying it were mainly its compact size and image quality. Even a G series, while having more options, was too big to just slip into my top pocket whenever I went out. So far I have no complaints about it. For a very small camera it delivers quite a punch. It has the option to shoot in RAW mode in most settings (except auto) so gives me more flexibility with processing. Of course if I want to get lazy it has 2 auto modes with jpeg images only. It is more expensive than the basic point and shoot cameras but delivers terrific images and in my opinion worth the extra money.

Cheers
Lloyd
5DII | 40D

Samsen
Enthusiast

At 3 MP and 3x zoom, S30 is a rather large and bulky camera for today's standard of point and shots.

Right now B&H has Canon PowerShot A3400 IS for $69

- L I N K -

that compare to S3, the difference are like day and night, including HD video capability on this little monster.

But then if your wife has shown signs of need to grow out of PnS, may be its a good time to consider a more capable camera even an entry level DSLR such as T4i or EOS M but those come at a price tag and unless really needed, I am sure she will appreciate a fully automatic small camera instead of here old one.

Merry Christmas to you all.

Announcements