cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I have a PowerShot SD1400 IS which I love. Lately, all of my zoomed pictures are very washed out.

Paul17
Contributor

I have a PowerShot SD1400 IS which I love. Lately, all of my zoomed pictures are very washed out.  The non-zoomed pictures are fine.  I have tried a reset of the settings but that does not help.  I only use optical zoom.  Any suggestions how to remedy this problem ?

5 REPLIES 5

Paul17
Contributor
I should also add that I have also begun getting occasional E32 error messages, followed by a camera shutdown. I turn the camera back on and it is fine - except,of course, for the washed out problem I discussed in my original post.

By "washed out", I assume that you mean they appear overexposed.  Does the camera still sound the same?

Your camera could have a battery that weakening under large loads.  Make sure that your memory card isn't too full.  You could try reformatting the card, too, which identifies bad sectors and makes them unavailable for future use.  Resetting the camera is always a good idea, too.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Thatnks, 

Yes, I mean "overexposed".  If it is an outdoor shot which I have zoomed, the result is almost all white.  I can barely make out any features.  Indoor, the features are vsisble but still very overexposed.

I have two batteries which I alternate - and this happens with both of them.  I did a camera reset and I reformated my memory card, neither step helped.

@Paul17 wrote:

Thatnks, @Waddizzle

Yes, I mean "overexposed".  If it is an outdoor shot which I have zoomed, the result is almost all white.  I can barely make out any features.  Indoor, the features are vsisble but still very overexposed.

I have two batteries which I alternate - and this happens with both of them.  I did a camera reset and I reformated my memory card, neither step helped.

That behavior is really odd, because it only appears on zoomed pictures.  I say call Canon U.S. Support at 1-800-OK-CANON.  I fear repairing it may cost more than buying a new camera.  Most of those compact point-and-shoot cameras are constructed like Gordian Knots, which means disassembling them for service is prohibitive and difficult, if not impossible to do without ruining the camera.  Once broken, they're designed to be disposable, I hate to say it, just like a cell phone.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

I tried one other thing.  I switched memory cards.  That did not help either.  I should also say that the washed-out image is immediately available on the camera's screen, niot just on the image saved to the memory card.

I then called Canon andd a tech there told me how to do a "hard start".  I did that but it also did not help.  The only way to save this camera in all it's functionality appears to be a costly internal repair.

So - unless someone can offer something I am not aware of , I think I will be looking for a replacement camera.

Thanks for your input, 

National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements