cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to download images from a PowerShot G7 X Mark III to a computer?

DanBoy62
Contributor

I just opened the box for my new Canon PowerShot G7X Mark III Digital Camera and am learning how it works. One thing I'm not seeing in the manual is how to download images taken with this PowerShot to my desktop computer. I am not a smart phone person and am not interested in becoming one. Also, I have vision issues, so I edit my photos on a *huge* desktop monitor.

My previous Canon PowerShot camera, vintage 2010, enabled this transfer via a USB cable that physically connected that camera to a computer. I don't see (at least so far) a place to plug a cable into the G7X Mark III. None came in its box either.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

I just checked the specs for your computer and it apparently HAS a built-in SD card reader.  In the image below it is likely the vertical slot to the left of the audio out port:  NOTE the card will fit comfortably only one way, so if it does not fit, rotate the card 180deg and try again

Tronhard_1-1707670875802.png

cheers, TREVOR

"The Amount of Misery expands to fill the space available"
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11

rs-eos
Elite

These days, it will be much easier to work with a card reader.  What computer are you using? Some computers have built-in card readers.

If not, card readers are fairly inexpensive. Be sure to get one that can attach to your computer.  If you provide the exact model of the computer you're using, we can help ensure you'd get a correct item.

--
Ricky

Camera: EOS 5D IV, EF 50mm f/1.2L, EF 135mm f/2L
Lighting: Profoto Lights & Modifiers

Thanks for the speedy reply, Ricky. My desktop computer is a Dell Inspiron 3880.

Update: I see that Trevor found that your Dell does have an SD card slot.  If you ever need one where the front slot wouldn't work, an external card reader would need to be able to connect to USB-A or USB-B to the rear of your PC.

For an external card reader that you can plug in, one possibility is:

SanDisk SD UHS-I Card Reader (part number: SDDR-C531-ANANN)  Cost is around $22.  Currently, B&H Photo has it a bit on sale at $17, though do see if that would be worth it when adding shipping.

Amazon (via the SanDisk store) has it for $18.  Though with a different part#: SDDR-C531-GNANN

If you're near a Best Buy or similar store, they may also carry card readers.  SanDisk isn't the only brand.  Lexar and Transcend are two other good brands.

--
Ricky

Camera: EOS 5D IV, EF 50mm f/1.2L, EF 135mm f/2L
Lighting: Profoto Lights & Modifiers

Hi Ricky:
It looks like there actually is one - if you check my post with image and the OP's response?

cheers, TREVOR

"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

Tronhard
Elite
Elite

Hi Dan and welcome to the forum:

The recommended, fastest and most reliable method is to do the following:
1. Turn off the camera
2. Remove the card from the camera and place it in a SD card reader attached to your computer (either built-in or via a USB cable)
3. When it is recognized, the card will be displayed in your file manager as a conventional removable drive, so copy the files from the card to your computer as you would normally do, and check that they have been copied.
4. If using a PC, use the windows Eject feature (place the mouse over the icon for the card, right-click and select Eject).  When so advised, remove the card from the card reader
5. Place the card back in the camera again, and turn it on
6. Use the camera's Format command to format the card clean, ready for more shooting - do not use the Delete function, this can lead to card errors eventually.

cheers, TREVOR

Thanks for the speedy, detailed reply, Tronhard. Now I need to obtain the SD card reader suitable for my Dell Inspiron desktop.

Any branded USB card reader should do.  Just make sure the USB reader cable matches the port on your computer.

cheers, TREVOR

I just checked the specs for your computer and it apparently HAS a built-in SD card reader.  In the image below it is likely the vertical slot to the left of the audio out port:  NOTE the card will fit comfortably only one way, so if it does not fit, rotate the card 180deg and try again

Tronhard_1-1707670875802.png

cheers, TREVOR

Yup, Tronhard, that is exactly how my Dell Inspiron looks in front. Thanks!!! Is your name as Scandinavian as it sounds? I'm of mixed Norwegian and Finnish ancestry myself.

click here to view the gallery
Announcements