cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to download images from a PowerShot G7 X Mark III to a computer?

DanBoy62
Contributor

I just opened the box for my new Canon PowerShot G7X Mark III Digital Camera and am learning how it works. One thing I'm not seeing in the manual is how to download images taken with this PowerShot to my desktop computer. I am not a smart phone person and am not interested in becoming one. Also, I have vision issues, so I edit my photos on a *huge* desktop monitor.

My previous Canon PowerShot camera, vintage 2010, enabled this transfer via a USB cable that physically connected that camera to a computer. I don't see (at least so far) a place to plug a cable into the G7X Mark III. None came in its box either.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

I just checked the specs for your computer and it apparently HAS a built-in SD card reader.  In the image below it is likely the vertical slot to the left of the audio out port:  NOTE the card will fit comfortably only one way, so if it does not fit, rotate the card 180deg and try again

Tronhard_1-1707670875802.png

cheers, TREVOR

The mark of good photographer is not what they hold in their hand, it's what they hold in their head;
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

View solution in original post

14 REPLIES 14

Glad you have found a solution.  Nope, I'm of UK origin, but my handle is a portmanteau of my first and last names.

cheers, TREVOR

The mark of good photographer is not what they hold in their hand, it's what they hold in their head;
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

Hi Trevor, I just acquired a PowerShot G7 and cannot upload the photos into my new desk top MAC despite using a chip reader or by using a direct cable. I also seem to have a problem formatting the memory card despite using a SDS card. Can you help? Thanks, Marc

Hi Marc:

Really, you should start your own thread - for a start you are using a completely different computer system - the starter of this thread is using Windows and you are using a Mac, and that has significant implications to compatibility.

However, the issue may not be with your computer.  Are you using full-size SD cards or micro-SD with an adapter?  If it is the latter, then that is not an uncommon issue - micro-SD use different technology compared to full-size SD cards and have a 'dry joint' where the micro cards meets the adapter, both of which are issues.

If you have been using micro cards, definitely replace those with full-size cards from a reputable supplier: such as SanDisk, Lexar and Prograde; avoiding cheap deals on the web - there are lots of counterfeits out there.

cheers, TREVOR

Dell Inspiron 3880 desktop to be more precise, purchased in January 2021.

normadel
Authority
Authority

Your G7 Mk III has a USB-C port. Canon sells an IFC-100U cable to connect to a USB-C port on a computer if you have it. If not, you need a USB-C - to - USB A cable to connect to an older computer.

Announcements